cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Welcome REI Co-op Members!
We're glad you're here. If you can't access the Co-op Members section of the community,
click here for instructions on how to join the section that's just for you.

Does REI take back sleeping pads for recycling?

I purchased an REI Flash pad about 3 years ago. It became leaky with many small holes. I have tried patching it a couple of times but I think it is trash. Is REI able to do anything with materials like this? 

Thanks!

0 Likes
3 Replies

@Tuula Thanks for reaching out!

We're going to touch base with our sustainability team and see what we can find out for you. We'll circle back with you here in the community when we hear back. Stay tuned!

At REI, we believe time outside is fundamental to a life well lived.
0 Likes

@Tuula 

Thanks for your patience as we connected with our sustainability team and thank you for thinking critically about the full life cycle of your sleeping pad. Here is the information we got from the sustainability team:

• We don't currently take back sleeping pads for recycling. That said, in the past we have taken used sleeping pads and turned them into new products like this one. This was a one-time initiative, however. You may want to check with the company that made that bag, Green Guru, and see if they have any recycling options available.
  • If you're interested in giving patching the sleeping pad another try, here is an REI Expert Advice article about how to do so.
  • You might also have luck selling the pad on a platform like eBay or OfferUp, but be sure to be accurate and transparent in the posting to indicate the pad has a leak.
  • If none of the above options work, you could donate the sleeping pad to Goodwill. 
  • The last resort would be to put the product in the trash.
Hopefully this helps, thanks!
At REI, we believe time outside is fundamental to a life well lived.
0 Likes

Thank you @REI-JohnJ

I hope that REI will continue to work to improve its sleeping pads to be more hole-resistant and long-lasting.

0 Likes