cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Welcome REI Co-op Members! We're glad you're here. If you can't access the Co-op Members section of the community, click here for instructions on how to join the section that's just for you.

Comparing Rain Jackets-Pros-Cons-Uses

I'm having difficulty deciding on an all around rain jacket, so I'm interested in hearing opinions on which would be a better rain jacket and why it's preferred.  I'm currently trying to decide between these two (I'll also consider other jackets).  Both of these jackets were purchased in close price proximity-with the REI Drypoint being slightly lower in price:

Marmot Eclipse EVODry Jacket - Women's

REI Co-op Drypoint GTX Jacket - Women's 

Opinions appreciated! Thanks!

0 Likes
1 Reply

Comparing Rain Jackets-Pros-Cons-Uses

@SClimber it'll be helpful to know how you're using the jacket - around town? Hiking? Running? For any aerobic activity, where you're likely to be sweating, breathability is a critical feature of your rain jacket - in case you're interested, we've got an Expert Advice article on how raingear works!

Between the 2 jackets you list above, there are 3 main differences:

• The Marmot jacket used a proprietary waterproof technology (EVODry) while the Co-op jacket uses Gore-Tex - both are great technologies, we just know that some folks prefer having Gore-Tex technology as it's been around a long time and has been rigorously tested for waterproofing and durability
  • The Marmot jacket is a 2.5-layer laminate whereas the Co-op jacket has a 3-layer construction - in that Expert Advice article you can find explanation of these different approaches - you'll see that the Co-op jacket weighs less
  • Finally, one or the other brand may fit your body better - cut in the shoulders, length in the arms, length in your torso - these are all personal preferences but are important for ensuring you love the jacket

We hope this information helps you narrow down your choice!

At REI, we believe time outside is fundamental to a life well lived.
0 Likes