cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Welcome REI Co-op Members!
We're glad you're here. If you can't access the Co-op Members section of the community,
click here for instructions on how to join the section that's just for you.

Comment about the color and gender in kids clothing.

REI, I was shopping for clothing for my grandchildren, and was very surprised to see the clothing  shirt selections  labeled boys and girls. The colors were sexist, with girls getting a washed out blue and faded pink, and the boys a rich blue and green . Really, I would think we would all be past that.

0 Likes
1 Reply

@rms 

Thank you for reaching out and providing this valuable feedback. We will be sure to pass it along to the appropriate team. Input from customers like you is important to help us understand what's working, what isn't, and what our communities value and prioritize when it comes to our product offering.

Our team cares immensely about color options and even has a color expert who works hard to bring gender open colors to each season. We know through customer feedback that certain colors do really well with our customers, so you’ll see us continue balance these consistently popular colors with testing new offerings each season. It’s important to note that we are also passionate about taking an open gender approach to our children’s apparel assortment to ensure that all kids can be outfitted for their next adventure in a way that offers them maximum choice and avoids reinforcing gender stereotypes. Much of this work is rooted in our Force of Nature effort focused on gender equity in the outdoors, and what we’ve learned as we’ve worked to offer a broader range of technical options for customers no matter who they are, where they live, or how they get outside. 

Thanks again for sharing your thoughts with the co-op. We hope this information helps, and that we can continue to outfit you and your grandchildren for future outdoor adventures.  

At REI, we believe time outside is fundamental to a life well lived.
0 Likes