cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Welcome REI Co-op Members! We're glad you're here. If you can't access the Co-op Members section of the community, click here for instructions on how to join the section that's just for you.

Cockpit cover and replacement seat - Wilderness System Rascal Kayak

I am trying to determine the size for a Seals or equivalent cockpit cover for an older Wilderness Systems "Rascal" kayak.  The Seals chart lists it as "custom", which does not help.  I am also looking for a seat replacement if that is possible to purchase.

2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions

@kirkwoodm Thanks for reaching out!

Unfortunately, it appears as though the Rascal Kayak is a model of Wilderness Systems kayak that is no longer in production and that will make it challenging to find specific parts for your kayak. The good news is that there are some resources and options available to you that should help you get even more years out of your kayak!

For the cockpit you may need to go with a 'universal fit' style of cockpit cover. The dimensions of your cockpit is 31.5" in length by 17.5" in width. This NRS Super Stretch Neoprene Cockpit Cover is a good example that might work. Take a look at this Seals Cockpit Drape that might also meet your needs. The cockpit on your kayak is pretty small (by today's standards) but I was able to find a couple of kayaks with relatively similar dimensions. The Seal Fitter Chart feature indicated that the Seals Cockpit Seal 1.7 would be the correct fit for kayaks with those dimensions of cockpit, however they were 33" in length.

In terms of the replacement seat, given that your kayak is no longer in production I recommend either reaching out to Wilderness Systems directly or you can contact Harmony Gear, which specializes in replacement parts for kayaks in the Wilderness Systems suite of brands.

I hope this helps and best of luck getting out on the water!

John

At REI, we believe time outside is fundamental to a life well lived.

Great information John, and I really appreciate you getting back to me so quickly.  I will try your suggestions.

Thanks much.

Mike

2 Replies

@kirkwoodm Thanks for reaching out!

Unfortunately, it appears as though the Rascal Kayak is a model of Wilderness Systems kayak that is no longer in production and that will make it challenging to find specific parts for your kayak. The good news is that there are some resources and options available to you that should help you get even more years out of your kayak!

For the cockpit you may need to go with a 'universal fit' style of cockpit cover. The dimensions of your cockpit is 31.5" in length by 17.5" in width. This NRS Super Stretch Neoprene Cockpit Cover is a good example that might work. Take a look at this Seals Cockpit Drape that might also meet your needs. The cockpit on your kayak is pretty small (by today's standards) but I was able to find a couple of kayaks with relatively similar dimensions. The Seal Fitter Chart feature indicated that the Seals Cockpit Seal 1.7 would be the correct fit for kayaks with those dimensions of cockpit, however they were 33" in length.

In terms of the replacement seat, given that your kayak is no longer in production I recommend either reaching out to Wilderness Systems directly or you can contact Harmony Gear, which specializes in replacement parts for kayaks in the Wilderness Systems suite of brands.

I hope this helps and best of luck getting out on the water!

John

At REI, we believe time outside is fundamental to a life well lived.

Great information John, and I really appreciate you getting back to me so quickly.  I will try your suggestions.

Thanks much.

Mike