cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Welcome REI Co-op Members! We're glad you're here. If you can't access the Co-op Members section of the community, click here for instructions on how to join the section that's just for you.

Co-op Cycles CTY 1.1 Step-Through Bike vs. Cannondale Quick 7 Women's Bike - 2019

I haven't on a bike for many years and am now thinking of getting one for myself. I'm 5'3" and I plan to ride a bike on a bike trail on weekends. After hours of searching, it came down to these two models. What would you recommend? Cannondale is specifically for women and Co-op has a mechanical disc brake. I live in Seattle area, so I think it's nice to have a disc brake, but Cannondale might fit better since it's built for women. Thanks in advance!

0 Likes
4 Replies

@eclipse as an avid cyclist myself there is no way that I can tell you which one you are going to like better.  I have researched bikes for myself and have been surprised to see the one that felt best to me was not always the one that I thought it would be. At the end of the day you need to get on some and see which one feels the best to you.  I think you have narrowed it down to a couple of solid choices.  Safe riding out there!

At REI, we believe time outside is fundamental to a life well lived.

Hey @eclipse,

That's so great to hear that you're hopping back on the bike! Both the Quick 7 and the Cty1.1 have some great features, like you identified. Have you already been able to go into the store to take both models on a test ride? Ultimately, I think you might be happy with either of these models, but it'll come down to which ones feels like the most  comfortable riding position for you! When you get a chance, hop on these bikes to test ride, if they both feel similar to you after test riding them, then you can dive into feature differences. Happy riding!

At REI, we believe time outside is fundamental to a life well lived.

Hi @eclipse ! 

I agree that trying the bike out for fit/feel is going to be your best bet. You’ve picked two bikes that are similar enough that fit and comfortable for you to ride will mean the difference between a bike that you’re excited to get out there or one that sits in your garage. Some women fit in women-sized bikes better, some women need a unisex fit.

On to the bikes, there are so many things that are really similar: weight, 24-gears, fender and rack compatible, price. You picked out one difference that might be helpful if riding in Seattle all-year round, disc brakes. There are some big hills in Seattle too so where you ride makes a difference too. When you test ride the bikes, give the brakes a try to compare if you have enough braking for the riding you’ll be doing.

Here is a really great article you can read up a little more on fit and disc brakes vs rim brakes. Scroll down a little ways in the article.

https://www.rei.com/learn/expert-advice/bicycle.html

At REI, we believe a life outdoors is a life well-lived.

Also, let us know how the test ride goes and what you liked! I’d love to hear how it went!

At REI, we believe a life outdoors is a life well-lived.