cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Welcome REI Co-op Members! We're glad you're here. If you can't access the Co-op Members section of the community, click here for instructions on how to join the section that's just for you.

Can I warranty a tent if the shock cords are no longer stretchy?

Hi,

I bought a 2 1/2 person tent in April of 2017. I have used the tent a total of 12 times since then. The last time i used it the shock cords were all stretched out. Is there a warranty on this? I know they can stretch out over 5 plus years or so from excessive use but i was shocked that it happened just over 3 years with not much use. Just curious if i have to replace them or if they can be replaced through warranty?  

Thanks for your help.

0 Likes
2 Replies

@XXAGENTXX 

Thanks for reaching out and we're sorry to hear about your tent. An item purchased over a year ago would not fall under our Return Policy. Depending on what kind of tent it is, you may be able to work with the manufacturer to find a solution. Another option (or if it is an REI Co-op brand tent) would be to look at our Repair Services site and connect with Tent Pole Technologies to get a quote for a repair.

If you'd like to take the project on yourself, we have had several conversations here in the community around replacing shock cords in tents, we encourage you to check out Replacement Shock Cord for Half Dome 2 and REI Quarter Dome 2 Replacement Shock Cord

Hopefully this helps, thanks!

At REI, we believe time outside is fundamental to a life well lived.
0 Likes

If your shock cords are anything like mine, they are actually stretched to the max when the pole segments are folded and stored, so using the tent more often would theoretically improve their life.  They lose their elasticity in any event.

In days of old, people took to the outdoors with tents that lacked shock cord.  I believe Everest was climbed for the first time using shock cordless tents, but times were tough then....

Superusers do not speak on behalf of REI and may have received
one or more gifts or other benefits from the co-op.
0 Likes