cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Welcome REI Co-op Members! We're glad you're here. If you can't access the Co-op Members section of the community, click here for instructions on how to join the section that's just for you.

Can I re-waterproof the rainfly on an old tent?

I have an old (15+ years) REI Clipper tent.  I set it up in the rain the other day to test it out and I had leaks in the rain fly.  Does anyone have solutions for this?  I was thinking of scotchguarding inside and out.  Thoughts?  Yes, I know it is an old setup.  Yes, I know I could replace it, I already have.  I just want to know if I could do anything to re-waterproof the rain fly.

0 Likes
3 Replies

I’ve been using a can of some sort of silicone spray from walmart on my old tent flys, so far so good 

REI Member Since 1979 YouTube.com/philreedshikes
0 Likes

Thanks.  Scotchguarding tonight.

0 Likes

Hi @Dirk  -  Excited to hear you’ve had your REI tent for so long! Like @Philreedshikes said, there are lots of products out there that will help refresh your rainfly’s waterproofing. Scotchgard even has tent specific products, so that’s a great plan. If the seams are also leaking, REI offers some seam sealers that should do the trick. You can also take a look at an Expert Advice article on How to Waterproof a Tent for some more details. Hopefully this helps! Would love to hear what process ends up working for you.

At REI, we believe time outside is fundamental to a life well lived.
0 Likes