cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Welcome REI Co-op Members! We're glad you're here. If you can't access the Co-op Members section of the community, click here for instructions on how to join the section that's just for you.

Can I get a replacement nylon seat for a flexlite chair?

It landed in the fire after a gust of wind took it. part of the nylon melted and we are worried that it's not going to last. However, the metal frame is fine. is there a way to buy parts for these chairs.

Andy

8 Replies

@akravetz 

Hey Andy,

Thanks for reaching out and we're sorry to hear about your chair! Unfortunately, we do not have a way to order replacement parts for the flexlite chair, including the nylon seat. We do appreciate you bringing this request up as we do take this feedback into future consideration. While we have postponed in store garage sales (and it's a bit of a long shot), when we resume them in the future, you may be able to find a flexlite chair that may have a in tact nylon sea tat a garage sale at your local REI store. You can also look at our Used Gear site to see what you may find there.

Hopefully this helps, thanks!

At REI, we believe time outside is fundamental to a life well lived.
0 Likes

@REI-JohnJ  The same thing happened to me. It seems rather peculiar that the nylon seat would not be available. 
If REI can’t provide a nylon seat replacement please tell me who the manufacturer is and I’ll order it from them. 

Thanks

Art

0 Likes

@ArtC thanks for the follow-up question! We work with multiple factories to manufacture our Co-op Brands products, including the nylon seat of the Flexlite chairs, and unfortunately, we do not manufacture extra parts. @REI-JohnJ's suggestion, while perhaps a long shot, is likely the best way to try to track down a replacement seat.

0 Likes

Thank you for your courteous response.

Yes, I think it is very much a long shot - a long, long shot. Following this to it's logical conclusion, I'd equate this with trying to purchase a broken tent pole and being told I have to buy a whole new tent. I've been leaning towards a purchase of the REI Flash Air 2 tent, but now I'm probably going with SMD.

Several of my friends were quite envious of the chair on a recent backpacking trip. I'm afraid I'll have to suggest they get the Helinox Ultralight chair.

Please escalate this to a manager. At the moment I am very unhappy camper.

Thanks, ArtC

0 Likes

@ArtC thanks for the additional reply! Please know that we have passed your feedback along to our Co-op Brands team for consideration. Although replacement parts seem like a simple offering, there is tremendous complexity with the number of products we manufacture, how those change year over year, and the sheer volume of parts any one piece of gear might include.

With that said, we do recognize that it is frustrating to not be able to replace specific parts of gear when they are accidentally damaged and we're sorry we don't manufacture extra seats for our Flexlite chairs. In checking on the Helinox website, although they do carry replacement feet pads and carrying cases, it also does not appear they carry replacement seats.

Finally, in terms of broken tent poles, we typically recommend working with Tent Pole Technologies as they can repair and replace tent poles, instead of needing a full tent replacement.

We hope this information is helpful and sincerely appreciate that you took the time to share your frustration with us. One of the reasons we are most excited about this online community is our ability to hear directly from our members with their feedback.

0 Likes

You've been quite nice and I was about to drop this topic, but as I was looking for more information I noticed that I never specified that I was writing about the Flexlite Air Chair. I didn't realize there were other REI Flexlite chairs since this is the only one I was ever interested in. Is this relevant?

Anyway, when I scrolled to the bottom of the Helinox replacement parts page I clicked "View More". There are three replacement seats for the Chair Zero at $59.95. Why can they do this and REI can't? Is there something to be said for non-monolithic?

Again, please refer me to REI's manufacturing partner for this chair. I'm willing to bet that they have a Bill of Materials and would be more than happy for me to pay double for the replacement seat.

I do not feel that REI owes me anything - it wasn't their fault that the wind blew the chair onto a boiling hot cooking pot - but it's borderline heartbreaking to know that a perfectly good and delightful piece of backpacking gear will go to a literal and metaphorical landfill.

Thanks, ArtC

@ArtC thanks so much for clarifying the replacement parts that Helinox offers - that's great information for our customers to have! We have passed your feedback along to our Co-op Brands team and if we are able to provide any additional information, we will circle back and post that in this thread.

0 Likes

@akravetz  Oh man that bites!! I can so relate! All this stuff is So EXPENSIVE!

Someone should sell insurance just for all this expensive equipment.

I’m always terrified the wind will shift and send an errant ember towards my tent, wind direction from the existing fire ring is always in my tent site selection calculus. (Assuming the wind will allow us to have a campfire to begin with)

On our last big hike this summer my friends big agnes chair kept breaking down, although they replaced it, it was a royal pain in the rear to carry it for 10 days-and not ne able to use it!

good luck

REI Member Since 1979 YouTube.com/philreedshikes
0 Likes