cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Welcome REI Co-op Members! We're glad you're here. If you can't access the Co-op Members section of the community, click here for instructions on how to join the section that's just for you.

Bikepacking Bags and a Co-op DRT 1.3 Medium Frame

Will any of Revelate Designs bags fit my REI DRT 1.3 Medium? 

7 Replies

@MCOJ Thanks for reaching out! I have a size medium DRT framed bike as well and it is my primary bikepacking bike and I love it! The frame bag I use was purchased before REI carried Revelate Designs and was custom made by a local craftsman where I live (Fairbanks, AK) who specialized in such things. When it came time to purchase a frame bag for my fat bike I went with a size medium Revelate Designs Ranger frame bag and it was worked great. I tried to put it on my DRT once and it was just a little too big. That is to say, I believe a size small would work, however you would likely have to pay close attention to how you tensioned the hook and loop straps to get it dialed in just right. I'll include a pic of my bike for some extra stoke factor.

I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions!

John

CO-OP Cycles DRT 2.1 Bikepacking Resurrection Pass.JPG

At REI, we believe time outside is fundamental to a life well lived.

John, 

I appreciate the attention. I purchased the small RD frame bag. Unfortunately, once home and through focused trial, I had to accept that the small RD bag did not fit. It's just too big, too jammed into the frame. I lose too much cubic space of the bag because it is smashed into the triangle. And the RD bag is just too expensive for it not to fit well. I will return it in the morning. (But I am keeping my new Jetboil Micromo stove.)

I want to use the frame pack as a kicthen: stove unit, a few dehydrated meals, long spoon, couple tea bags. I'd be content with two or three meals given the tight space I have to work with. I will extend the kitchen to a down tube bag for rides longer than two days. 

Given your Alaska location, I assume you purchased a Bedrock bag. I think I will contact them and Alpkit for pricing comparison. The advantage with Alpkit is they have a two week order-to-delivery timeframe. 

@MCOJ Great to know, thanks!

I, too, wanted to use the frame bag as my kitchen. I was unable to get my windburner in there so it goes in the pot inside the down tube bag. I use the frame bag for an extra fuel canister, a few dehydrated meals, and my MSR trailshot filter but that's about it. To compensate for the lack of space in the frame area I run two RD feedbags, a Magtank, and an RD Jerrycan in addition to a seat bag and a handlebar bag. I figured out a way to connect a Salsa Anything Cage to my front fork so I use that as well (RD straps for the win!). I actually use a Becker Designs frame bag and down tube bag. I'll have to check out the Bedrock Bag you mentioned. Thanks for getting back to me and please share a photo when you're all set up!

Do you have a trip coming up in mind? Dream trip? Have you checked out the bikepacking.com profile of the Silk Road Mountain Race rigs? It's definitely worth a chunk of your time!

John

https://bikepacking.com/bikes/2019-silk-road-mountain-race-rigs/

0 Likes

Rei-JJ,

Appreciate the insight. Helps minimize my trial and error period. The Silk Road link is just awesome. I ordered the Alpkit custom bag, at a third less than the RD bag. Now I'll slowly acquire the other bags. I'm pretty sure I'll rely on RD for a seatpost pack, handlebar harness and dry bag, couple of feedbags. I'm really interested in Bedrock's downtube waterbag, and then I'll see how much room I have for a second down tube bag. Top tube bags I will price out. RD makes a Yakataga dry bag that attaches to the handlebar setup. It is expensive at $125, but it looks like the perfect camera bag for my purposes. 

I'll also add a new tent to my list. I'll probably acquire one of the Big Ages bikepacking designs because it packs down so small. I have other tents, and I inquired about having custom poles made for one of them, to have twelve inch sectioned pole. Company won't do it. 

I've walked a few trails and peddled a few miles. Done stretches of the AT and PCT. Strolled around Hood and Ranier. Chaperoned a supported 200-mile youth bikepack trip. I'm looking to do GAP and C & O ride solo. 

Dream rides?

Unsupported....Baja. Need a new plus bike to do that.

Supported? Tour d'Afrique (https://tdaglobalcycling.com/tour-dafrique)  Can probably manage that with one of the bikes I currently own. But parenthood and tuition will keep these longer rides on a rather distant horizon. I can probably swing anything under a week. 

Again, thank you 

Be well.

@MCOJ Great stuff! You're well on your way to having your photo in the Silk Road Mountain Race one day!

Those Big Agnes Bikepacking tents are amazing (link for anyone following along who doesn't know what we're talking about)! I had to open one up to see it because it was pretty unbelievable. I just completed my tent set up and am going to take it on its maiden voyage in September on a work trip to the lower 48 near Mount Saint Helens. I got the MSR Thru-Hiker Mesh House tent and the REI Co-op Quarterdome Tarp as my shelter. My hope is to use my bike in lieu of trekking poles. That will keep weight and, most importantly, space used to a minimum. I'll circle back with you to let you know how it works!

I, too, would love to do the Baja Route at some point. However, there are an almost unlimited number of options here in Alaska and the more I ride the more that list gets longer rather than shorter!

Thanks for connecting, enjoy the ride!

John

While I have you...

What do you recommend for maintenance reading? And how extensive a tool kit do you carry? 

Because we use Park Tools in our shops I recommend the Big Blue Book of Bike Repair by Park Tool. It's got way more info than I'll ever need, plus you can buy an electronic version and have it on your phone if needed.

I don't carry a very extensive tool kit: a patch kit, spare tube, a Crank Brothers M-17 Multi-Tool, and a bunch of Revelate Designs Washboard Straps. I've yet to encounter a breakdown I haven't been able to fix or at least repair to the point of getting back in the saddle and riding out. I'm also not that aggressive of a rider and I tend to crash well enough to only injure myself and rarely my bike. As such I carry a much more robust first aid kit most rides!

John

0 Likes