cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Welcome REI Co-op Members!
We're glad you're here. If you can't access the Co-op Members section of the community,
click here for instructions on how to join the section that's just for you.

Bike Held Hostage During REI Store Closure For Me As Well

I had taken my bike into the Portland REI location for a tune up a week before the closures. Now my bike has been there for some time now. I've missed a lot due to this. I feel as if I'm being robbed of my bike! I really need my bike back for my mental stability. Is there ANY possible way to get my bike back as soon as possible. I'm moving in a matter of days and it seems as if I have to do so without the biggest part of my life, my bike. I really need my bike back. Please help me get my bike back if it is possible. I'm already really frustrated with this situation, and if I have to move out of state without my bike, I don't even know what hat will happen. it will cost me a lot of time and money. I'm really writing this for anyone at REI to see, but I am curious, how many people has this happened to?

25 Replies

Following this thread.  I ordered a new Cannondale on 3/13/2020.  The Indianapolis, IN store has since closed with no end in sight.  I would love to take advantage of the beautiful days with some time on the trails.  Oddly, the local bike shops are currently open as they have been labeled an essential business.  I would love to pickup the bike ordered last month.

@mtkeiser thanks for reaching out and we are really sorry for the long delay in connecting you with your new bike. Your situation is slightly different than some other folks on this thread, as you ordered a new bike. Have you connected with our Customer Support team yet? They can be reached at 1-800-426-4840 or via LiveChat, and may be able to cancel your original order and send a replacement order directly to your home. We have great instructions available on how to assemble the bike when it arrives (just a few steps), and we have a team of bike technicians who can help with any assembly questions that arise (cyclinghelp@rei.com). It's important to note that our delivery windows are slightly longer than normal, due to very high volume, but this may be a good alternative to discuss with our CS team. Again, we really do apologize for the delay and the inconvenience.

At REI, we believe time outside is fundamental to a life well lived.

yes, great for this guy who actually got attention from rei, but I don't think it's fair at all. I'm no saying that he shouldn't get his bike, I'm saying that everyone else should get their bikes back to, including me. different situation or not, you can't help someone and not everyone else, especially when the solution is very simple. does this have something to do with the fact that he's likley paying a couple grand for his bike, but I only paid a few hundred for a bike tune. we both need our bikes back. If you could work something out with this guy, you could work something out with me, and everyone else whose bikes you've held hostage!

@Artie_MTB, we understand that our ability to help this member feels unfair, however the situation described above is fundamentally different from yours. Replacing an order that can ship directly to a customer's home does not involve our stores teams, which is the complexity we are navigating with your situation.

We recognize, very much, that you are frustrated and angry with us and we are truly sorry for that. We have teams actively working on a solution for customer bikes in our shops that is durable across the country at all of our bike shops, prioritizes employee and customer health above all else, and adheres to a wide variety of jurisdictional requirements. When we have that solution in place, we will be in touch.

At REI, we believe time outside is fundamental to a life well lived.

I own a Trek bike that has been at your Rockville, MD store for almost a month. It is clear that I am not alone and as what has been stated or eluded to in this thread, a solution for getting our bikes back could involve sending someone to the store that is properly attired to facilitate a safe curb-side pickup protocol or a safe shipping procedure so that we can get our property and get on with our lives.  How would some variant of this, be in conflict with your goal of "prioritizing employee and customer health above all else"?  Instead of  responding using corporate-speak, I would appreciate a direct answer to that point.

Incidentally, Trek Stores continue to be open nationwide for business albeit in a limited way. Ironically, there is a Trek store located less than two miles from your store in Rockville and if I had initially taken my bike there for  minor repair, I would not be going through this nightmare now!  I suppose that if I didn't want to wait 2-3 months to get my bike back from you, I could make the decision to spend  thousands of dollars to replace my bike today. I should not have to do that!!!

Seriously! I was also thinking the same thing. If only I didn't take my bike to rei. The other place would have even been cheaper as well.