cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Welcome REI Co-op Members! We're glad you're here. If you can't access the Co-op Members section of the community, click here for instructions on how to join the section that's just for you.

Re: Mountain Bike size

Hello,

I am looking into purchasing Co-op Cycles DRT 1.1W Women's Bike, however, there is only XS left. My height is 5'3. Would that size be a good fit for me, or would it be too small? Your advice would be greatly appreciated!

0 Likes
2 Replies

@marinmi thanks for reaching out for advice! We'll tap a few REI employees who should be able to help with your sizing question - stay tuned!

At REI, we believe time outside is fundamental to a life well lived.
0 Likes

@marinmi 

At 5'3", you fall directly in between the recommended rider height for Extra Small and Small DRT bikes. This is a truly excellent and difficult question to answer virtually! That being said, there are a few considerations that may help you make a decision.

It is very likely that you may safely ride both sizes, but will have a comfort preference for the smaller or larger frame size.

Generally speaking:

The Extra Small will put you in a more "agressive" and compact riding position because your seat will be higher relative to the handlebar height and your hands will be slightly closer to your torso.

The Small will put you in a more "relaxed" and upright riding position because your seat will be lower relative to the handlebar height on the larger frame. Your hands will be slightly farther away from your torso.

Personally, I am also "in between" sizes in Co-op DRT bikes at 5'6" (in between Small and Medium), and I have found my preference in these bikes to be for the larger size (Medium). I typically recommend the larger size to customers as well for a starting point to test ride. That being said, it is very difficult to know for sure without seeing you on the bike and getting your feedback on how it feels.

If you have a bike that you're currently riding that is a relatively similar style, we may be able to compare and contrast some key measurements between the two: I'm happy to help recommend what to measure.

I hope this helps and please feel free to respond with any additional questions that you have!

-Jessie D.

At REI, we believe time outside is fundamental to a life well lived.