cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
REI is actively reviewing its policies and procedures per the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention's new guidance for COVID-19.
As we have since the start of the pandemic, we’ll continue to prioritize the health and safety of our employees, customers and communities.

Re: Winter Hiking Pants

Hi, I need a recommendation for winter hiking pants. My summer hiking pants don't cut it! I'm 6'2" tall and have a 38" waist. Any suggestions?

0 Likes
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions

@BobMac458 Thanks for reaching out!

I live in Fairbanks, Alaska and I made the mistake of wearing my summer hiking pants and going outside the other day and boy did I regret it! I quickly changed into a pair of softshell pants that were much better suited to the cold! I find that softshell pants do a great job of balancing between providing a little extra warmth (but not too much) and all the features you'd want in a technical pant (water resistance, stretch, breathability, etc.)  Depending on the conditions you face (wet or dry, freezing cold or just moderately cold) and what your planned activity is (hiking, running, snowshoeing, skiing, etc) the kind of pants that will be best suited for you may vary. You'll want to think about giving yourself a little extra room in case you're considering adding a base layer as well. 

Here's what I recommend:

Arc'Teryx Gamma AR Pant

REI Activator V2 Pant

Kuhl Traverse Pant

Both the Arc'Teryx and REI pants come in a long inseam as well if that is something you're looking for. Let us know if you have any other questions, have a great day!

I hope this helps!

John

At REI, we believe time outside is fundamental to a life well lived.
0 Likes
1 Reply

@BobMac458 Thanks for reaching out!

I live in Fairbanks, Alaska and I made the mistake of wearing my summer hiking pants and going outside the other day and boy did I regret it! I quickly changed into a pair of softshell pants that were much better suited to the cold! I find that softshell pants do a great job of balancing between providing a little extra warmth (but not too much) and all the features you'd want in a technical pant (water resistance, stretch, breathability, etc.)  Depending on the conditions you face (wet or dry, freezing cold or just moderately cold) and what your planned activity is (hiking, running, snowshoeing, skiing, etc) the kind of pants that will be best suited for you may vary. You'll want to think about giving yourself a little extra room in case you're considering adding a base layer as well. 

Here's what I recommend:

Arc'Teryx Gamma AR Pant

REI Activator V2 Pant

Kuhl Traverse Pant

Both the Arc'Teryx and REI pants come in a long inseam as well if that is something you're looking for. Let us know if you have any other questions, have a great day!

I hope this helps!

John

At REI, we believe time outside is fundamental to a life well lived.
0 Likes