cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Welcome REI Co-op Members! We're glad you're here. If you can't access the Co-op Members section of the community, click here for instructions on how to join the section that's just for you.

Best Winter Coats for Kids

Hi,

I have a 3 & 5 year old boys who are extremely active.  We live in NY and love being outdoors.  Most times they hate wearing jackets because they get so hot.  I want something to keep them warm, but want to be realistic on what’s best for them and something they will want to wear.

0 Likes
2 Replies

Hi @Arcarak , thank you for the question! In outfitting my own young son for cold-weather outdoor adventures, I have found that he is most likely to wear a lightweight insulated jacket because they are fairly thin and compressible. There are great options in both down and synthetic insulation; with and without a hood. Down has a tendency to be a little warmer while synthetic is a little better at standing up to moisture (there are also dry-down options out there). Adding a warm base-layer and a fleece can increase warmth on those extra cold days. You can check out our selection on the website or in your local store. 

Happy Adventuring!

At REI, we believe time outside is fundamental to a life well lived.
0 Likes

@Arcarak thanks for asking! In addition to @REI-MichelleW's recommendations, I will chime in for the REI Co-op Timber Mountain jacket; my 6 year old has been wearing this jacket (in different sizes obviously!) for several years and has loved it as an all-around great option - he wears it to school all winter on both cold/dry and cold/wet days, but he also skis and plays in the snow in it. On really cold days, we will an insulated layer underneath (REI Co-op 650) but have found that the Timber Mountain jacket, in and of itself, is pretty ideal throughout the winter. That said, if your kids run pretty warm, you could also consider a 3-in-1 jacket - this allows you to remove the inner liner if they're hot but still have an outer, waterproof shell. Hope this helps!

At REI, we believe time outside is fundamental to a life well lived.
0 Likes