cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Welcome REI Co-op Members! We're glad you're here. If you can't access the Co-op Members section of the community, click here for instructions on how to join the section that's just for you.

Best socks for hot weather

I work in south Texas, which you know the 4 seasons are summer, hot summer, super hot summer, and hot fall. I work outside and I usually wear Muck boots around my jobsite. Which REI brand socks would you recommend for this type of weather? 

3 Replies

Hi @ParkersOutdoorLife - Thanks for reaching out! 

I used to live outside of Monterrey, Nuevo León, so know those four seasons of summer that you are talking about! When choosing socks that will keep you comfortable in muck boots, you'll want to consider a couple of variables. 

Wool tends to be better at regulating temperature, while synthetics are able to wick away sweat faster. It is easy to assume that the thinnest socks will keep you coolest, but mid-weight socks are more absorbent, often keeping your feet cooler/dryer. Knowing how your feet feel throughout the day will help you decide which of those features to lean into. We suggest looking at the following:

Let us know if you have any additional questions and we'll be happy to help!

At REI, we believe time outside is fundamental to a life well lived.

Hi @ParkersOutdoorLife 

I can't disagree with @REI-CarterC , but I will add this additional bit of advice.  

Liner socks.

I have found that wearing a thin,  silk or synthetic liner sock with a mid-weight wool sock over it really helps to keep my feet from retaining the inevitable sweat.  That helps to keep my foot temperature regulated in hot weather, which also aids in overall comfort.

REI Co-op COOLMAX EcoMade Liner Crew Socks | REI Co-op

REI Co-op Silk Liner Crew Socks | REI Co-op

Here are links to the sock liners I'm referring to. (I tried linking the words, but the site wouldn't let me.) 

Good luck!

Superusers do not speak on behalf of REI and may have received
one or more gifts or other benefits from the co-op.

I want to add my +1 to what @Rob6 @said about liner socks. They were a game changer for me. 

keep my feet warm in the winter and cool in the summer. Especially important in the heat is the moisture wicking function as it virtually ended my issue with heat blisters. 

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
“Between every two pine trees there is a door leading to a new way of life.” (John Muir)

Superusers do not speak on behalf of REI and may have received
one or more gifts or other benefits from the co-op.