cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Welcome REI Co-op Members! We're glad you're here. If you can't access the Co-op Members section of the community, click here for instructions on how to join the section that's just for you.

Best Rain Jacket for Hiking In The Rain and Staying Dry Inside?

So, what do you recommend? I am a bit frustrated with my current well know brand because, even with the pits unzipped and appropriate base layers,  the inside of the rain jacket is wet. Hard to tell if it is not venting moisture, or rain saturating the “breathable double layer” rain protection, or both.

I need to get a new jacket that will keep me dryer.

What are folks using on the trail? What should I look at as a replacement?

Thanks for your time and help!

0 Likes
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions

hey there,

are you just 'hiking' or backpacking or hiking with day pack? 

Asking because the amount of effort you're putting out determines the amount of moisture you're generating.

I would put money on that the moisture is coming from you, from the inside, probably at a rate faster than the 'breathable' material can vent the moisture.

I test my rain jackets by standing in the shower with them, that way I'm not sweating into it (hey, it works!)

If you are backpacking in the rain, and it's not very cold - or - hiking at a pace or incline that is generating perspiration, you're always going to sweat and more than likely out-sweat any jacket's ventilation.

I preach now 'rain management vs staying dry'

Here's an article I wrote which may be helpful.

https://philreedshikes.com/2013/12/30/backpacking-in-pouring-rain-staying-dry-vs-rain-management/

and this follow up: https://philreedshikes.com/2014/09/09/more-thoughts-on-rain-management/

good luck!

REI Member Since 1979 YouTube.com/philreedshikes
2 Replies

Hey there @MAYFLY 

Thanks for reaching out to us and I’m sorry to hear that you’re having trouble with your jacket! I’m happy to give you some recommendations on a new jacket. But even before you make the investment, check out some of the tips in this article about rejuvenating a waterproof jacket.  If you’ve already been down that road, with no success, let’s see about getting you in something that will work!

Here are a few of my favorites:

The REI Co-op Xerodry , is a great option! It is lightweight and easy to pack on the trail.  It uses Gore-Tex Paclite waterproof technology, which will keep you dry from the outside, while continuing to be breathable and keep you dry from the inside.

The REI Co-op Drypoint is also a great jacket.  This jacket uses 3-layer Gore-Tex Active laminate. Gore-Tex Active is the lightest and most breathable Gore material available!

Lastly, check out the Arc’teryx Zeta SL .

Each of these jackets will provide you with a few different features, styles, colors or fit.  But all of them will keep you dry!

Hope this info helps!

At REI, we believe time outside is fundamental to a life well lived.
0 Likes

hey there,

are you just 'hiking' or backpacking or hiking with day pack? 

Asking because the amount of effort you're putting out determines the amount of moisture you're generating.

I would put money on that the moisture is coming from you, from the inside, probably at a rate faster than the 'breathable' material can vent the moisture.

I test my rain jackets by standing in the shower with them, that way I'm not sweating into it (hey, it works!)

If you are backpacking in the rain, and it's not very cold - or - hiking at a pace or incline that is generating perspiration, you're always going to sweat and more than likely out-sweat any jacket's ventilation.

I preach now 'rain management vs staying dry'

Here's an article I wrote which may be helpful.

https://philreedshikes.com/2013/12/30/backpacking-in-pouring-rain-staying-dry-vs-rain-management/

and this follow up: https://philreedshikes.com/2014/09/09/more-thoughts-on-rain-management/

good luck!

REI Member Since 1979 YouTube.com/philreedshikes