cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
REI is actively reviewing its policies and procedures per the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention's new guidance for COVID-19.
As we have since the start of the pandemic, we’ll continue to prioritize the health and safety of our employees, customers and communities.

Best hybrid bike for new to outdoor cycling

Looking to purchase a hybrid bike 

new to outdoor cycling and want something relatively basic 

can you make recommendations?  

0 Likes
3 Replies

Hi @KateG57 !  I would suggest checking out the Co-Op Cycles CTY series, the 1.1 and the 2.1 are great entry level hybrid bikes that will get you in to cycling, and also leave you with some room to grow.  Check them out here.  Hope this helps get you started!

At REI, we believe time outside is fundamental to a life well lived.
0 Likes

Hi @KateG57@REI-MollyM is right -- the CTY series is a great option! One other series that customers absolutely love in the hybrid bike category is the Quick CX series from Cannondale. Just like the CTY, these bikes start with the same frame and change the bike components between numbers (CX 1, CX 2, etc...) . For example, here is the Quick CX 2 . That way you can choose your component package and price between good, better, and best. Have fun and go fast!

0 Likes

Hey @KateG57! Welcome to the world of outdoor cycling! If you haven’t already stumbled across this How to Choose Hybrid Bikes article, I’d suggest grabbing a cup of coffee and giving it a read, it’s a great starting point! It will explain things such as bicycle sizing, brake types, suspension, wheel sizes, and other important details as you choose the right bike.

Depending what you discover in the How to Choose Hybrid Bikes article, here are a few bikes I’d recommend.

In addition to finding the right bike, I’d recommend a few other items to get the most out of your outdoor riding adventures.

• Helmet: Protect your noggin! There are tons of styles to choose from and sizing is relatively easy, with many being a universal size that is adjustable to fit most.
  • Spare Tube: At some point in your cycling adventure you will likely encounter a flat. Having a spare tube can get you back on the road quickly. Tubes are specific to the wheel and tire size. The size can be found on the side of the tire.
  • Repair Kit: A basic multi-tool, mini-pump or inflator, tire levers, and patch kit can get you out of a jam. Sound like a lot of stuff to carry? Don’t worry, it’s all pretty small and kits like the Topeak Deluxe Accessory Kit make it super easy.
  • Water bottle and cage: I don’t know about you but I get thirsty when I ride! A water bottle cage that mounts to your bike and a water bottle that fits in it is a great way to stay hydrated during your rides.

Tailwinds!