cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Welcome REI Co-op Members!
We're glad you're here. If you can't access the Co-op Members section of the community,
click here for instructions on how to join the section that's just for you.

Backpack leans to side

I'm generally happy with my REI Traverse 70 backpack, except that it leans to one side when loaded, no matter how much I try to balance the load. It's always the same side. Adjusting the shoulder straps has no effect. It seems there's a lot of up-down play between the hip belt and the central velcro attachment point to the pack.

Other than jerry-rigging some stabilizer straps between the belt and the top corners of the pack, does anyone have suggestions on better solutions? Or something I might be doing wrong? My sore back will thank you!

4 Replies

@booneycrasher Interesting... I don't have any quick fix suggestions. Fitting a backpack can be tricky. Do you happen to live near an REI where an expert can try to work their magic?

At REI, we believe time outside is fundamental to a life well lived.
0 Likes

I don't live that close to an REI, but will keep that option open. In the meantime, I'll keep fiddling with the load--presumably if the weight is balanced perfectly it won't lean... Thanks for the reply.

0 Likes

@booneycrasher You may have already seen articles similar to this, but here is a helpful link with a great video on how to How to Pack a Backpack.  Like @REI-DaveM  said fitting a backpack can be really tricky (Especially over the computer). Each pack will fit differently for each person. I also find that how I pack my weight and adjust my straps changes with every trip! That being said, it may just be the pack itself and nothing that you’re doing/not doing. If you have tried all options and are still having issues I would highly suggest making a trip out to the nearest REI with your pack loaded up. That way an associate could help with adjustments or get you set up with a different pack if you feel that is necessary. You can even make a Personal Outfitting Appointment at the store! Good luck with the backpack!

At REI, we believe time outside is fundamental to a life well lived.
0 Likes

Yup, all it took was careful packing and adjusting at the first sign of a lean. Not much hassle, pack is working out great.