cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Welcome REI Co-op Members! We're glad you're here. If you can't access the Co-op Members section of the community, click here for instructions on how to join the section that's just for you.

Availability of motion sensor headlamps

Will REI offer camping headlamps with motion sensor?

I got a motion sensor headlamp from Amazon and turns out to be the nicest thing around the campground.

Important features like motion senor and if it can be charged without removing the batteries aren't even listed on REI.

0 Likes
2 Replies

Hi @ridelots - Thanks for reaching out and bringing this question to the community!

While it does not turn on/off based on motion, we do offer the Petzl NAO+ Headlamp, which offers a reactive lighting feature. This means that if you are looking down a trail, slope, or out from the campground, it will cast a brighter light, but if you look to someone, a map, or anything closer up, it will automatically lower its intensity. 

The battery is rechargeable and has a USB plug attached, so that portion of the headlamp detaches, plug straight into a charging cube, then right back into the headlamp without having to handle the batteries themselves.

Other than this one, we do not currently have other reactive or motion sensor headlights in our inventory.

Let us know if you have any additional questions and we'll be happy to help!

At REI, we believe time outside is fundamental to a life well lived.
0 Likes

I did a quick google on "motion sensor headlamps" and came up with a Biolite mode onAmazonl that is apparently different from the two Biolite models carried by REI.  The motion sensor capability is described as follows:  " Just wave your arms and our headlight willdetect your motion,then turn on or off automatically.high white light,low white light, red light, red light strobe,SOS 5 Modes."

There is also an "easy to reach" conventional on-off button.

Thinking about it, I am not so sure that an on/off button activated by arm waving is such a good idea.  Accidentally waving one's arms and turning off the light might not work out well, particularly if scrambling on steep terrain.

Walking on the typical trail eenvironment, I  generally  prefr to carry my headlamp in my hand.  The light gives much better definition of the terrain when not on one's head.  I will wear the headlamp when using my hands while scrambling or rock climbing (or blowing my nose, etc.)

Superusers do not speak on behalf of REI and may have received
one or more gifts or other benefits from the co-op.
0 Likes