cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Welcome REI Co-op Members! We're glad you're here. If you can't access the Co-op Members section of the community, click here for instructions on how to join the section that's just for you.

Are UL tents colder than others?

I just added a Big Agnes ULHV Copper Spur2 Platinum to the collection and it seems a much colder tent than my Marmot Tungsten backpacking tent. It was typical wet/cool/drizzly/breezy NW weather but this tent seemed a chilly one. Are these UL tents colder than regular backpacking tents with similar mesh with temps in the 40's?

2 Replies

@smarks Great question!

While tents are not rated for temperature you are right that you can definitely tell the difference in the 'warmth' of tents, particularly when you are talking about ultralight tents. There are many factors that go into whether a tent feels warmer including amount of mesh, ventilation options, and fabric denier (thickness). As you go ultralight with a tent you are gaining more mesh and lower denier of fabric, typically, which would impact how 'warm' a tent would feel. Conversely, as you look at a four-season tent the denier of fabric is higher as well as having the ability to completely close off all of the mesh, and thus it feels warmer. Thanks!

John

At REI, we believe time outside is fundamental to a life well lived.
0 Likes

Thanks--Glad to hear I'm not going crazy imagining this!