cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Welcome REI Co-op Members! We're glad you're here. If you can't access the Co-op Members section of the community, click here for instructions on how to join the section that's just for you.

Are trekking poles carry-on compatible?

Hello

I am going on a week hiking trip on the Alta 1 trail in italy, I am only taking a carry on back pack.  Does anyone know if you can take trekking poles that fold in your carry on pack, and also what type should I purchase? Thanks

Julie

0 Likes
5 Replies

Officially the answer is a hard no. See TSA Hiking Poles. Same answer in Canada although they make an exception for people who have mobility challenges.

Unofficially you may get lucky. See How To Carry Trekking Poles on the Plane.

Keep in mind too that even if you manage to get your poles on the plane to Italy you may then encounter problems when you go through security on the flight back home. Again, from what I see using Google the official answer is a hard no but seems to be more flexible in practice. If you want to take your chances I would at least put rubber tips on the poles.

...Wanderer

Superusers do not speak on behalf of REI and may have received
one or more gifts or other benefits from the co-op.
0 Likes

P.S. See also, Carry on Trekking Poles

...Wanderer

Superusers do not speak on behalf of REI and may have received
one or more gifts or other benefits from the co-op.
0 Likes

Thanks! I really appreicate your info! to be safe I probably will just check them, I was trying to avoid checking a item hoping to just do carry on, but If I don't want to loose my trekking poles sounds like I need to definetly check them in. 

Thanks again

Julie

0 Likes

Hey @Chewey21, thank you for your question about travelling with trekking poles!

It looks like you got some great advice and resources from @Wanderer but just a friendly reminder, from our User Guidelines, that "only posts from a user with the “REI Employee” rank should be regarded as employee-generated content." Thank you and happy traveling!

0 Likes

Thanks for the info James, I'm a newbie to the conversatons!

Julie

0 Likes