cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Welcome REI Co-op Members!
We're glad you're here. If you can't access the Co-op Members section of the community,
click here for instructions on how to join the section that's just for you.

Are there winter clothing rental options?

going to alaska homer mid march will be onboat during day for eagle photography

need advise on clothing and find out about clothing rental

0 Likes
1 Reply

@stuart2 

Thanks for reaching out, it sounds like an amazing trip!

Unfortunately, REI does not offer winter clothing rentals. Additionally, I recently moved from Alaska to Seattle and I do not recall any outfitters in Alaska that rent clothing. That being said, you may want to check with your boat charter (or a local fishing guide) to see if they offer that option or know someone who does.

In terms of clothing for Alaska in March, we encourage you to read this Expert Advice article, Layering Basics, for lots of good info about how to dress for the cold. Most importantly, for a trip out on the water, you're going to want waterproof pants, jacket, and footwear. If you're planning on staying on the boat and not moving around a lot (working up a sweat), you likely will be okay wearing non-breathable waterproof outer layers similar to the ones you see fishermen wearing. I would also recommend a lightweight liner glove that fits inside a heavier glove or mitten and allows you to retain some warmth in your hands (but also gives you the dexterity need when working the buttons on your camera).

Hopefully this helps, thanks!

At REI, we believe time outside is fundamental to a life well lived.
0 Likes