cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Welcome REI Co-op Members! We're glad you're here. If you can't access the Co-op Members section of the community, click here for instructions on how to join the section that's just for you.

Archival sleeping bag (collectable?) - does REI have an archive or museum of old gear?

In around 1970-71, I purchased an REI Duck Down "Icelandic Special" sleeping bag, 33" x 76" with 2 lbs. duck down filling. 
It's a wonderful bag, though ended up being used very little and is literally like new, kept in the large cotton storage bag over the years.
I am wondering what it's value might be as a rare item from those early REI times. Do you have an "archive" or "museum" of such an item from your early brand line?
Thank you,
Lawrence Nagel

0 Likes
3 Replies

Hello @DuckDown1971!

Thank you for thinking of us! What an awesome look into our co-op's history! We connected with our archive team and they would love to chat with you about your sleeping bag. We will connect with you via direct message for more details.

On a personal note, I happen to be an enthusiast of vintage REI gear and have a small archive of old REI catalogs. I took a look at the 1971 catalog and may have found your sleeping bag! I have included the photos below, I'd love to know if that is the same model you have!

Thanks again for joining our community, we'll be in touch via direct message soon!

1971Catalog.jpg1971SleepingBag1.jpg1971SleepingBag2.jpg

At REI, we believe time outside is fundamental to a life well lived.

Cool!

I actually have an old REI 2-person tent that I bought in 1980 (or '81). It was my first REI purchase. The tent is still in good working condition. I'll see if I can send a pic.

It was similar to the JanSport "Trail Wedge."

Superusers do not speak on behalf of REI and may have received
one or more gifts or other benefits from the co-op.
0 Likes

@TomIrvine 

Thanks for being willing to share. That would be great to see! Thanks!

At REI, we believe time outside is fundamental to a life well lived.
0 Likes