cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Welcome REI Co-op Members! We're glad you're here. If you can't access the Co-op Members section of the community, click here for instructions on how to join the section that's just for you.

Albuquerque area camping

To those of you who know Albuquerque well: Where can I camp within and hour drive from Albuquerque?

I'm looking for a mountain campsite where I can camp alone and possibly host some first time campers. Primitive is fine, but a vault toilet may be nice if I have friends with me who are new to camping. I've done some searching and found Cedro Peak Group sites, Fourth of July CG, Tajique CG. Are the forest roads pretty good usually? I don't plan on being there during the monsoon season. I'm hoping most snow will be melted by the end of May.

I'm interested in finding some some good dispersed sites that will be relatively safe. I've seen some comments on a few sites about vehicles being vandalized at some trailheads and it makes me nervous as far as camping. I often hike and camp alone and am an older woman.

My plan is a trip end of May or early June next year. Any suggestions you have or websites I could get more info from will be appreciated. 

0 Likes
4 Replies

Albuquerque area camping

@brownmouse thanks for reaching out! We'll see what recommendations we can rustle up for you from our employees! In addition, you might also post your topic on the Add a Location board in the Local Happenings section of our community, keeping Albuquerque in the title, to cast a wider net for suggestions!

At REI, we believe time outside is fundamental to a life well lived.

Albuquerque area camping

Thanks JenK! I'll do that!

0 Likes

Albuquerque area camping

@brownmouse okay, here's a bit more:

• Cedro Peak is definitely recommended by folks in our Albuquerque store for what you're describing! You might also consider the 4th of July Campground and the BLM land and campgrounds on the east side of the Sandias (ex: Turquoise Trail Campground).
  • It can be a bit tricky to find specific information online about camping in NM - herehere, here and here are a few resources you might check - also, here and here are several guidebooks our employees in the area recommend!
  • Finally, you can always call our Albuquerque store - we have several tenured employees in that store who know the area well and love to camp!

Hope this helps to get you started!

At REI, we believe time outside is fundamental to a life well lived.

Albuquerque area camping

Excellent information and resources. Thanks! I knew you REI guys would be of help.