cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Welcome REI Co-op Members!
We're glad you're here. If you can't access the Co-op Members section of the community,
click here for instructions on how to join the section that's just for you.

Afraid to miss an opportunity to get my dream job

Hello Co-op folks!

For the past almost 9 years I have been working at large music retailer and I am ready to move on. For 6 out of the 9 years I have had great success as a manager for this retailer yet my dream has always been to work for REI. An REI near me posted a Retail Sales Manager position. I applied 1-2 days after the job was posted. It’s been a little over a week and I have yet to hear from anyone. Friends and family are suggesting I call the store and ask to speak with someone in the hiring department to let them know I’ve applied. I’m afraid to do this as I don’t want to annoy the staff by calling and potentially risk not getting a call/interview at all. This is my dream place to work. How do I let someone at the store know I’ve applied and I’m very interested in the position? Is there a particular person I should ask for? Should I avoid doing this at all? I really don’t want to mess this up. I love the outdoors, love REI, and I want to do everything it takes to work here. 

Thanks co-op for listening. I am open to any feedback/advice. 

0 Likes
1 Reply

@ilike2hike0359 this is such a great question because our hiring teams often get a lot of applicants and establishing a personal connection can make all the difference! In non-Covid times, we'd normally recommend dropping by your local store that's hiring; in light of the current constraints, we'd suggest starting with a phone call to introduce yourself. Ask to speak with the store manager, recognizing that they work retail hours and may/may not be working when you call and may/may not be available at the time you call. In that case, you'll likely be connected with another manager, to whom you can introduce yourself. Be prepared to share a few quick things about you, including a few resume highlights and also your passion for the outdoors and excitement about working for REI!

We hope this advice helps - and good luck!!

At REI, we believe time outside is fundamental to a life well lived.
0 Likes