cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Welcome REI Co-op Members! We're glad you're here. If you can't access the Co-op Members section of the community, click here for instructions on how to join the section that's just for you.

Advice: What size bike for my kid?

Good afternoon,

I am wondering if you can help me figure out what size bike would be best for my son, who has outgrown his current bike which is a 24 inch Diamondback.  He is 11...is it time for a grown up bike?  

Thanks,

Trina

0 Likes
2 Replies

Hi @Trina 

Thanks for reaching out! When it comes to youth bike sizing, figuring out the dimensions is all about the child's height and the length of their inseam. Our expert advice article How to Choose a Kids Bike  has some really handy tips for determining sizing.

If he's outgrown a 24 inch, you're likely about at the point of getting him his first adult bike! Which is also pretty exciting! We have plenty of great resources to get you started on finding him a new bike based on the type of riding he's doing.

Those resources can be found at https://www.rei.com/learn/c/cycling.

Best of luck in your bike search! Let us know if we can be of any further assistance.

Katie K.

At REI, we believe time outside is fundamental to a life well lived.
0 Likes

@Trina thanks for reaching out! I so clearly remember my first "grown-up" bike - it was definitely one of my favorite things I had my entire child/young adulthood!

Because this is a big decision, and knowing that a bike can be hard to fit over the internet, we're wondering if you'd be interested in having an opportunity to chat on the phone with one of our amazing employees who can help you narrow down your choices? Let us know if that's of interest, and we'll connect through Direct Message to set something up!

At REI, we believe time outside is fundamental to a life well lived.
0 Likes