cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Welcome REI Co-op Members! We're glad you're here. If you can't access the Co-op Members section of the community, click here for instructions on how to join the section that's just for you.

Advice on skis and sizing

Hi, I am looking for advice on buying skis. I am 5'5'' 125lbs and am looking for womens skis that are versatile enough for powder in Utah/Colorado snow and that will work on east coast snow (and fake snow) too. 

My skills are intermediate but err more on the side of beginner. I will be on powder and mostly blue/green routes. 

Any advice to get me started would be greatly appreciated! Also any ideas as to other "ski essentials" would be really helpful. Thanks!

Olivia

0 Likes
3 Replies

@oliviat95 

Thanks for reaching out! I am going to provide some great articles from our expert advice section of the website. I think you will find that it thoroughly answers most of your questions and more eloquently than myself. 

How to Choose Downhill Skis 

How to Choose Downhill Ski Boots 

How to Choose Bindings 

What to Wear Skiing and Snowboarding 

This should be a great start!  Feel free to keep the conversation going as you begin to narrow down your options and I’m happy to provide some insight along with some feedback from other employees!

At REI, we believe time outside is fundamental to a life well lived.
0 Likes

@oliviat95@REI-AlyS got you some great resources - we'll also tag a few employees who know their ski stuff to provide you with some few specific suggestions on skis! @REI-CassidyT @REI-ReinkeM @REI-JessieD @REI-MollyM 

Hi @oliviat95 !  

Here are a few of my personal favorite skis, that I think would be flexible enough for all conditions.  They should also work nicely for you as an intermediate skier, but allow for plenty of room to advance with you!  Also - I live in Summit County, Colorado and have tested all of these on our snow conditions...they are a blast!

The Icelantic Maiden 91
Black Pearl Blizzard 98
Salomon QST Lumen 99

With these skis, my thought is that something with a 90-ish width underfoot is really versatile, and will work well in powder or on groomers.  For length, with your height and skill level I'd probably suggest something in the high 150's, low 160's, depending on the specific ski and it's shape/cut. 

Other Thoughts/Tips:
All three of those skis come without bindings, so you'd need to select those in addition to the skis and have them mounted, which we'd be more than happy to help you with as well!  I would suggest getting professionally fit for boots, as in my experience, having boots that fit well is absolutely essential to a good day on the mountain!

As for bindings, if you wanted to have the option to use these for touring as well, I'd suggest a binding like the Marker Tour F12.  It's super solid for downhill, but allows you the flexibility to flip into tour mode, slap some skins on the bottom of your skis and have a different type of adventure too.  Again - just something to think about if you are looking to have these for some time and want all the options!

Hope that helps!  Happy to chat if you have more questions!