cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Welcome REI Co-op Members! We're glad you're here. If you can't access the Co-op Members section of the community, click here for instructions on how to join the section that's just for you.

Advice on a bike purchase for my 11 year old daughter

Hello.  I brought my 11 year old daughter into a store last fall and determined she was just about ready for an adult xs bicycle.  I'm sure by now she is ready.  We go on family bike rides (non strenuous, pavement or trails) and I want to get her a new bike as soon as possible, so I'll be ordering it online since the stores are closed.  Can you help me determine the right bike for her?

4 Replies

Hello @sgfick 

Thanks for contributing to the community! I'm happy to chat bikes with you! I love that the whole family is getting outside together. 

This is a great article that can help with some of the major considerations in choosing a bike .

In thinking of the conditions where you ride most frequently (road and some trails), I'd say a hybrid bike might be the best fit. Depending on your daughter's comfort level as well, a hybrid bike can help bridge the gap and build confidence towards maybe a road bike with a more advanced geometry and riding position. This was how I made the transition after learning to ride a bike again at the age of 21!

Here are some hybrid bikes I love:

The Cannondale Quick 4 is easily at the top of my list. The entire Quick series is great! Each one in the series has a number...in this case 4.  As the number gets lower, the bike changes and becomes a bit more advanced in components.

While browsing Cannondales, I would consider the Althea 3 as well. This is another bike that works off the same number system that the Quick series uses.

The Co-op Cycles CTY 1.1 could also do the trick! This bike comes in a step through option as well, which can be helpful for smaller riders. Designed with urban considerations in mind, it provides an upright position and tires that can accommodate a variety of terrain.

I hope this gets you started and if you have any more questions, please let us know!

At REI, we believe time outside is fundamental to a life well lived.
0 Likes

Would the bike be pre-assembled before shipping? 

0 Likes

@pedro-oh Thanks for the question!

Every bike that we ship directly to customers is unboxed, assembled, completely adjusted, and test-ridden by the dedicated bike mechanics at our distribution centers. Our mechanics then remove the pedals, front wheel and handlebars to package the bike for shipping to you.

Once the bike arrives, the process to put the finishing touches on your bike is fairly straightforward- we include tools and detailed instructions to get the job done, and you can always reach out to cyclinghelp@rei.com for any technical questions or advice about the process. 

We hope this helps!

@sgfick in addition to the awesome suggestions that @REI-AlyS provided, we also have the ability to connect you with one of our employees (virtually, of course) to chat about specific bikes and help with sizing. Let us know if that's of interest and we'll follow up in a Direct Message.

0 Likes