cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Welcome REI Co-op Members! We're glad you're here. If you can't access the Co-op Members section of the community, click here for instructions on how to join the section that's just for you.

Thank You to the REI Employee in Asheville!

SO long story short, back in October, I had to make a pitstop in Asheville, NC.  Although I'd been to North Carolina before, I'd never been to Asheville.  It looked really cool!  I kept seeing this thing about the "Blue Ridge Parkway" as well.  Looked like good hiking, waterfalls, scenery, etc.  

Well, post-Christmas, I decided to head back down there & check out this Blue Ridge Parkway.  Little did I know about the snow in Asheville & that most of that Parkway was basically closed down.  In fact, the road leading up to the visitor center near Asheville was blocked.  I also wasn't expecting so much "cold" either!  

Anyways, I still wanted to hike somehow.  I had to stop in at REI to get some warmer clothing.  I mentioned my misstep to one of the employees, and he recommended that I head out to "Roan Mountain. Carvers Gap to Grassy Ridge."  OK.  Well I did.  😄  It's part of the Appalachian Trail too!  By the time I got there, I only had so many hours of sunlight left & I didn't want to drive back to the Airbnb via potentially ice winding mountain roads in the dark, but what a wonderful view it was!  

I can't wait to go back to Asheville again!  133153881_10159130212499948_4124531971430242484_o.jpg134081631_10159130212094948_8247599665731076255_n.jpg

--
Silvia
1 Reply

Thank You to the REI Employee in Asheville!

@chip88angel - Thank you so much for sharing this experience with us. It is great to hear that Asheville - both its trails and the REI store - treated you so well! Getting onto the Appalachian Trail is always a special experience. We'd love for you to keep us updated on how your next trip that way works out and what great spots in nature you are able to find. 

We love seeing your photos! Glad to know you were in warm gear with that snow on the ground. 

Thanks again for sharing. Happy hiking!

At REI, we believe time outside is fundamental to a life well lived.
0 Likes