cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Welcome REI Co-op Members! We're glad you're here. If you can't access the Co-op Members section of the community, click here for instructions on how to join the section that's just for you.

Vehicle logistics for section hiking the AT

Good Morning all!

I am planning on starting to section hike the AT in June.  I will be driving up to GA from FL, but I had a question on what would be the most efficient way to handle the car.  Do I leave it at the trail start and find some way back to it after the hike, or do i leave it at the planned end point, and worry about getting to the trail head?  Can anyone share their experiences on how you handled this?  Thanks in advance!

Yeti

6 Replies

Hi @DinnerYeti - Thanks for reaching out! You will see that we have moved your post to our new Appalachian Trail Hikers group — the perfect place for this kind of question.

We hope some fellow hikers will be able to weigh in with their experience and suggestions. Thanks for bringing this question to the community!

At REI, we believe time outside is fundamental to a life well lived.

I could make an argument either way but, if your car is at your destination endpoint, you don't have to wait on a shuttle when it's time to go home 🙂

If you find someone else doing the same section you're doing, you may want to team up and park one car at each end.

Enjoy the trail!  With any luck, I'll be knocking out a section or two myself around that time.

Superusers do not speak on behalf of REI and may have received
one or more gifts or other benefits from the co-op.

Thanks for the reply @nathanu .  you mentioned shuttles....is that a thing for people hiking the AT, or did you mean in general, as in: Take an uber/lyft lol

0 Likes

@DinnerYetishuttles are definitely a thing for folks hiking the AT and it seems to be pretty big business in "trail towns".   Most of the hostels have a shuttle service (if you're staying there) and most can provide a referral to a shuttle driver.  There's a Facebook group called North Georgia Hiking & Adventure that I am a member of and was able to find a shuttle ride from there (I'd be happy to pass along her info in a DM if you're interested).  I borked up my knee and she was able to pick me up at Springer and take me back to my car at Amicalola.  Cost was $50, which seems about average and she was awesome company for the ride. 

@nathanuThat would be great.  I dont have facebook, but do you happen to know of any resources online for looking up Hostels in the trail towns?  I appreciate the help sir.

0 Likes

I wanted to confirm this with her before posting it here but the shuttle that I've used is White Blaze Shuttle Service and the info is below.   Have no problem referring her and will be using her again when I can.

706-300-8964 White Blaze Shuttle Services

0 Likes