cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Welcome REI Co-op Members! We're glad you're here. If you can't access the Co-op Members section of the community, click here for instructions on how to join the section that's just for you.

New adventure in the works, quick overnight from Springer to Hightower Gap

So, I seem to be all healed up and ready to get back out into the backcountry and can't think of any better place to do it than the AT.  The guy that went with me on my Gahuti COVID-19 adventure is heading back out with me and I'm going to try to make it a little more enjoyable of a trip.  The plan at the moment is to park at Springer, hike to the summit and then make our way down to the Hawk Mountain campsite or shelter for the night and then out to Hightower Gap the following morning.  Will probably split a shuttle ride back to Springer.

This will be my first time hiking this section and it looks like a pretty easy hike with lots of water and some cool sites (cool creek crossing, Long Creek Falls, Hickory Flats cemetery, etc.) to check out along the way. Wondering if anyone had any "must see" spots that we'd need to check out along the way.

Superusers do not speak on behalf of REI and may have received
one or more gifts or other benefits from the co-op.
2 Replies

If you’re up for a drive, I can meet you at Grayson highlands or roan mountain for maybe a 2 night easy hike

REI Member Since 1979 YouTube.com/philreedshikes
0 Likes

It'll be a bit down the road, but I'd love to take you up on that!  Right now, my schedule simply doesn't have a lot of wiggle room for much more than an overnight trip.  The guy that I've been hiking with has a similar schedule (I kindof feel like a drug dealer, he started tagging along 'occasionally] on day trips and is now backpacking with me 🙂 ).  Ultimately, my plan is to thru hike the entire AT as my retirement gift to me (several years down the road still) but I figure the best way to prep for it is to get my feet on the trail as often as I can, so I'm just working my way north a little bit at the time and repeating sections when I don't have the time for the drive. 

Superusers do not speak on behalf of REI and may have received
one or more gifts or other benefits from the co-op.