cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Welcome REI Co-op Members! We're glad you're here. If you can't access the Co-op Members section of the community, click here for instructions on how to join the section that's just for you.

Looking for Partner - Section Hiking the Appalachian Trail

Hi Granola Friends!

My name is Sara and I'm 24 years old with a few months to spend before starting graduate school (hopefully!), and I'm so eager to hike a section of the Appalachian Trail! There is no way I would go alone though haha as I'm new to multi-day adventuring and I've only ever done one other overnight backpacking trip (on which I didn't have much responsibility). I'm curious if anyone could suggest to me a forum for finding a few partners to go on an adventure with? My last big trip was a 2-month biking tour across the country and I absolutely loved carrying my home on my legs and being so free, raw, natural for so many days on end. I'm confident I'll settle into the backpacking routine as I did the biking one, I just need some company to give me the stability and support for getting comfortable. And I love meeting new people, so that's also the major reason I'm seeking company for this trip. I'm hoping to go for a couple months and would hope to leave maybe in May... whenever the weather is best haha thank you anybody who answers this call, I'm grateful!:)

Wishing you all wellness and joy,

Sara 

11 Replies

@REI-CarterC @ thank you for the mention and @sarabass @ congrats on the decision to start your adventure.   So far, the only part of the AT that I've done is the Approach Trail and a little bit from Springer headed toward Hightower Gap.  That said, the Approach Trail is (I think) a rite of passage, a challenge and a beautiful hike.  I'm trying to plan the next adventure, either Springer to Hightower or Springer to Neels Gap, depending on scheduling options, but thats my hike because it'd drive me crazy to miss a mile (my wife fe says Im OCD 🙂 ).  As far as where to hike, I say hike your own hike.  Find something you want to accomplish (the first x miles, McAfee Knob, the halfway point, the Whites, Katahdin, etc.) and do it.  As far as finding hiking buddies, when you figure that one out let me know.  Anytime soon ask folks what theyre doing this weekend, they scatter, they know I'm gonna ask if they want to sleep in the woods

Superusers do not speak on behalf of REI and may have received
one or more gifts or other benefits from the co-op.
0 Likes

Hello @sarabass, I am also looking for someone to start hiking the AT with in mid-May 2021. I reached out to the AT long-distance hikers Facebook group to see if anyone is planning on heading out at the same time (link to the group is below); I'm honestly just looking for anyone who could give the peace of mind of not starting out on the trail alone. 

I'm planning to head out from the Springer Mountain, Georgia around May 15th this year, and I'll be hiking as far as I can before the Fall semester starts at Georgia Tech (just after August 7th, 2021). @TAZ and @sarabass , I'd love to start out on the trail with you guys if the time and location coincides with your plans! Please let me know if you'd like to talk on Facebook Messenger. 

https://www.facebook.com/groups/aldha/

0 Likes