cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Welcome REI Co-op Members!
We're glad you're here. If you can't access the Co-op Members section of the community,
click here for instructions on how to join the section that's just for you.

Looking for Partner - Section Hiking the Appalachian Trail

Hi Granola Friends!

My name is Sara and I'm 24 years old with a few months to spend before starting graduate school (hopefully!), and I'm so eager to hike a section of the Appalachian Trail! There is no way I would go alone though haha as I'm new to multi-day adventuring and I've only ever done one other overnight backpacking trip (on which I didn't have much responsibility). I'm curious if anyone could suggest to me a forum for finding a few partners to go on an adventure with? My last big trip was a 2-month biking tour across the country and I absolutely loved carrying my home on my legs and being so free, raw, natural for so many days on end. I'm confident I'll settle into the backpacking routine as I did the biking one, I just need some company to give me the stability and support for getting comfortable. And I love meeting new people, so that's also the major reason I'm seeking company for this trip. I'm hoping to go for a couple months and would hope to leave maybe in May... whenever the weather is best haha thank you anybody who answers this call, I'm grateful!:)

Wishing you all wellness and joy,

Sara 

34 Replies

Hey Taz, I too am an “old man” (62 this coming December) who’s has been and still is a runner, although I’ve only done one marathon.  I’m fairly fit and a reasonably experienced day hiker.  I’ll be retiring in June and have always wanted to section hike the AT.  Now that I will have the time I’d love to start connecting with other like minded folks.  I’m thinking that I’ll “prep” during July and August and try to tackle a section or two in the fall.  I’m thinking NC and VA sections as I live just north of Charlotte, NC.  I may be able to convince my younger sister to come along too.  She has a fair amount of experience on northern parts of the trail.  Hit me back if you’d like.  Anyone else out there that may be interested please let me know as well.  Thanks.

Lost in the woods
0 Likes

I also would recommend to take a map with you and learn how to use a compass and basic navigation skills using the position of the sun. Geraldine Largay died only 2 miles from the trail because she didn't know how to navigate back in the direction where the trail was. I have always a whistle with me, if you need help, this little tool is way better than shout out for hours.

@benevideslauren67 wrote:

I also would recommend to take a map with you and learn how to use a compass and basic navigation skills using the position of the sun. Geraldine Largay died only 2 miles from the trail because she didn't know how to navigate back in the direction where the trail was. I have always a whistle with me, if you need help worktime , this little tool is way better than shout out for hours.

and I don't even know what we would have done if the trail had not passed there .. probably we would have gotten lost and we needed to call for help

0 Likes

Good advice.  A good whistle is definitely necessary.  I took the intro Navigation using Compass and Maps with REI in February 2021.  Great class! 

I also have completed Wilderness First Aid and Basic First Aid as well.

Also very knowledgeable about wild plants and moderately knowledgeable about trees. 

Be well!

0 Likes

Hi All,

I am looking for some section hikers for 2022.  I live in Maryland.  I have hiked portions in Tennessee (Clingman's Dome to Siler's Bald) / North Carolina (Lover's Leap area in Hot Springs), Damascus Loop in Virginia, a bit through SNP, and will be completing the 42 mile Maryland section this summer.  

Female - 47 years old.  Ideal miles in a day 11-22 miles. 

I would like to do  a 50-80 mile section in Tennessee near Roan Mountain (there is a hostel that offers shuttle service for a fee), SNP section, along Blue Ridge Parkway, Pennsylvania, etc.

I am up for day hikes from SNP to Harrisburg area of PA.

Best!

0 Likes

Hi.. I spend a lot of time in MD but also have a home in Central PA around Boiling Springs, Pa.  I am a retired guy who is also looking to do the AT but want to take it slow and figure out the best gear and pace I am going to use.  So if you ever need a hiking partner or find yourself in the PA area and need some company drop me a line.  Right now I working on biking the entire C&O in addition to doing day hikes.

Hi!  Thanks for reaching out.  I am planning to bike some of the C&O Canal this year as well. 

I am definitely up for some day hikes or three day weekend over Labor Day to complete some miles in Northern VA/WV, MD, and/or PA.  

Another trail of interest is the 70 mile Laurel Highlands Hiking Trail in PA from Ohiopyle to Johnstown. 

In 2022, I would be up for GA portion, Max Patch section, Tennessee section, Grayson Highlands, VA Triple Crown as well. 

Best!

0 Likes

Hi Napoleon,

I sent you a DM.

0 Likes

Thanks.  When I figure out how to get it I will respond.  Meanwhile you can get me here. : )

0 Likes

Sounds great.  I am doing training runs on the C&O right now.  Mostly around the Georgetown/River Road section.  I have ridden most of the C&O to date but mostly in sections on weekends.  This time I want to make the whole run as it was intended.  I am planning to make the run sometime in the fall.  Let me know how things are going.

As for hiking the offer stands.  I am going to try to do a couple of long hikes and some overnights just to check out my gear.

0 Likes