cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Welcome REI Co-op Members! We're glad you're here. If you can't access the Co-op Members section of the community, click here for instructions on how to join the section that's just for you.

Looking for a hiking partner for a 2022 Appalachian Trail thru hike

Hello everyone. I am seeking a hiking partner that would be willing to help me with a few tasks that I have a hard time with. I am missing my left arm at the shoulder. I especially have trouble with tent poles, but for the most part I am self sufficient, albeit a bit slower with things like stuffing a sleeping bag in a sack. I'm 61 but in excellent shape/health for my age. 

I completed 800+ miles in 1992, and it's been my dream to hike it end to end. 

4 Replies

Best wishes to you! I’m sure it will be in an adventure of a lifetime!

There are many Facebook pages that are dedicated to travel on the AT.

also Whiteblaze.net is a very good resource.

Good luck

REI Member Since 1979 YouTube.com/philreedshikes
0 Likes

@patri100ia 

Welcome and thanks for bringing your search to our community! We would love to hear more about your journey as you work to complete this dream. We wanted to give you a head's up that we're going to move your post from the 'backpacking board' to the 'Appalachian Trail Hikers group' in order to give it some visibility to our users who are having conversations about that trail.

Hopefully this helps, thanks!

At REI, we believe time outside is fundamental to a life well lived.

Hey Patri,

I'm 63 and planning to LASH the New England section of the AT from Harriman State Park on the Hudson River in New York to Katahdin, starting my departure mid July 2022. I'm guessing you're looking for someone to get all the way through, but if a part-way solution works, I'd love to have some company. I have a feeling I could use a hiking buddy for Mahoosuc. There's more than some chance that whoever you arrange to go with ends up not making it the whole way, so keep me in mind.

--Lee

0 Likes

I'm interested in thru- hiking the A T and am also interested in having a partner with experience like yourself in hiking the trail . I am 66 and also on good condition and have done mountain climbing in Colorado and hiking in the Rockies. I would be willing to assist you with anything you would need help with. Let me know what you think

Mark W. Johnson
0 Likes