cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
REI is actively reviewing its policies and procedures per the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention's new guidance for COVID-19.
As we have since the start of the pandemic, we’ll continue to prioritize the health and safety of our employees, customers and communities.

Best options for free or cheap rides between trailheads

Ok, so not really sure if this is a thing or not but figured that, if anyone knew, someone here would.

I'm trying to plan a few short, quick overnights (arrive Saturday, hike, camp, head home Sunday morning).  As an example, in May, I'm planning on going from Springer to Hightower.  An ideal situation would be for me to drive to Hightower, park and then hitch a ride back to Springer and just hike back to my car.  I've seen folks that are hiking in pairs or groups park one of their cars at each end and just hike between them but many of these little trips are likely to be solo.  So, I'm hoping that there's some secret network of folks that will pick up random folks at trailheads and drop them off at other trailheads and, if so, how to get in touch with said super secret network.  For what it's worth, I'm certainly not opposed to riding in the back of a truck, a trailer or even on the hood 🙂

Again, may not be a thing but, if I don't ask, I can't learn.  Appreciate any input.

Superusers do not speak on behalf of REI and may have received
one or more gifts or other benefits from the co-op.
0 Likes
3 Replies

Yes! Please show me the secret handshake.

This is where the self-driving car could have some interesting potential.

Superusers do not speak on behalf of REI and may have received
one or more gifts or other benefits from the co-op.

It's called a thumb 🙂

Beyond that, a smile goes a long way- in todays world it may be helpful to indicate you are COVID-safe although, many people currently traveling are not scared- which is why they are out and about.

If you are able, looking less dirty/more presentable always makes a good impression.

Also, make friends as you hike. An established relationship is more likely to result in a ride, safer too.

Make sure to tell people at home your plan and communicate with them often. Stay safe.