cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Welcome REI Co-op Members!
We're glad you're here. If you can't access the Co-op Members section of the community,
click here for instructions on how to join the section that's just for you.

How do I dispose of a bear spray canister if I didn't use it on a trip?

I have an upcoming Alaska trip starting in Fairbanks and ending in Anchorage. I will pick up a bear spray on my first stop. Hopefully I don't need to use it. But in that case, what would be the best thing to do with an unused bear spray when I leave in Anchorage? Is there a place I can donate it to? Thanks!

5 Replies

@hahahut 

Thanks for reaching out!

Sounds like an amazing trip! I just moved from Fairbanks to the Seattle area last fall, if you stop by the Fairbanks REI store be sure to tell them 'hi' for me! We've reached out to our team in Anchorage to see if they have suggestions for places to donate your unused bear spray to. We'll follow up with you here in the community when we hear back from them.

Thanks!

At REI, we believe time outside is fundamental to a life well lived.

Thanks! I am indeed planning on ordering bear spray for store pick up in Fairbanks. So will definitely say "hi" for you! No worries if the Anchorage team is busy. I figure I could always just give it to someone I meet at the hostel or even the staff at the hostel. Bear spray is probably household item in Alaska that no one is mind to have one more 🙂

@hahahut 

Thanks for your patience as we checked in with the Anchorage store. It sounds like you're on the right track with your thoughts. No-one we connected with knew of an official way to donate bear spray. Have a great trip!

At REI, we believe time outside is fundamental to a life well lived.

Thanks!

0 Likes

- Save the reciept?

- HOT wings?

0 Likes
Join the community
Other boards in this category