cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Welcome REI Co-op Members!
We're glad you're here. If you can't access the Co-op Members section of the community,
click here for instructions on how to join the section that's just for you.

Wicklow Mountains National Park

Hi all!

I'm taking a trip to Ireland at the end of May 2020 and am hoping to spend a bit of time in the Wocklow Mountains. Anyone done this? Wondering how fit, experienced with mountain hiking/navigation, etc. I need to be. Also is it better to have a guide or explore alone or with a buddy? And favorite trails/routes?? Bonus points for breath-taking vistas! Tips on what to wear/bring?

Any insight you have on Ireland/Wicklow Mountains is much appreciated! Thanks! 

0 Likes
1 Reply

Hey There @sedoyle 

Sounds like a pretty amazing adventure!

I studied abroad in Ireland at University College Dublin, one of the best experiences of my life!

While I was there, my study abroad group had planned a trip out to Wicklow National park, but unfortunately we got pretty epically rained out and end up spending our time exploring Glendalough in close proximity to our bus. Only one person from the group attempted the hike, and he said it was beautiful, but he was pretty saturated.

I will say, if you get the chance to check out the Ruins of the Glendalough Cathedral, it's a pretty cool site!

In terms of gear, there's no trees in the area so there's no roots to absorb the water. Everything is generally pretty saturated, so waterproof hiking boots are a must. It also rains most mornings and clears out in the afternoon as they day warms up, so a rain jacket and sunscreen are both essential for a day spent outside.

Hope that helps with gear decisions! Driving through that area was insanely beautiful, I wish we'd had more time than just the day trip we did, but there's so much to do and see In Ireland so we didn’t linger too long in one spot in our time off. I'd go back in a heartbeat!

Happy Adventuring

Katie

At REI, we believe time outside is fundamental to a life well lived.