Just curious what folks have on their hiking/biking bucket list..
#1/#2 GDMBR/CDT (ride it not race it:)) and Trans-America bike ride Virginia to Oregon
The only thing holding you back from doing the AT is you :). It may take a few years to plan out, save money, get the gear and get on it but if you take that first step towards it, the next become easier. Good luck!
My husband and I want to complete an adventure race within the next 2-years (hike-bike-kayak). We are still looking into different race options but would optimally want something within road trip distance of NW Illinois. That is the biggest thing on our outdoor bucket list so far!
I vote for Oktoberfest!!
Here's how I want to do it:
1. Fly to Frankfurt
2. Train to Rothenburg A.D.T., 1 night
3. Train to Munchen, visit Oktoberfest, Hoffbrauhaus, Michaelskirche (St Michael's Church) (burial site of King Ludwig), 1 night
4. Train to Garmisch-Partenkirchen, 1 night
5. 2 day hike up the Zugspitze, via Partnach Klamm to Rheintal Anger Hutte (1 night), then hike to Knorr Hutte (1 night), hike to summit, then train or cable car back down, 1 last night in Garmisch.
6. Train to Frankfurt, fly out.
What a great trip!
Plus, you would have to get an appropriate backpack...
I'll be almost 63 when I start my hike from the eastern term of the PNT next June, taking a left at the PCT, then rethinking things when I get to the Bridge of the Gods... Been prep-n. Cant wait