cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Welcome REI Co-op Members!
We're glad you're here. If you can't access the Co-op Members section of the community,
click here for instructions on how to join the section that's just for you.

The right amount of footwear (for traveling in Iceland)

I am going to Iceland in the spring for 2 weeks. We'll be using a campervan, and I expect mostly outdoor activities (Glacier Hiking, whale watching,  visiting numerous waterfalls and black sand beaches).

I originally planned on bringing my hiking sneakers (The North Face Ultra Fastpack mid) they're water resistant but not waterproof,  but I have to be careful with footwear choices because of prior injury and surgery.  I was also going to bring some slipper booties, mostly just to wear in the van for warmth and recovery.

However,  I'm getting the impression that rain/waterfalls /hiking pitfalls may require a second pair of boots. 

Long story short, I'm curious if it’s worth packing the shoes and booties in order to ensure I have dry footwear. Alternatively,  I could ditch the slippers, but I'd rather not...if I were to only have my waterproof boots, I'm concerned that 2 weeks of daily wear might be too much for my feet given their history. 

Any insight is greatly appreciated. 

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Reply

I recommend bringing the boots as well, with a good waterproofing treatment.

My backpacking trip started 1 July, and the snow was just melting out, at higher elevations anyway.

have fun!

REI Member Since 1979 YouTube.com/philreedshikes