cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Welcome REI Co-op Members! We're glad you're here. If you can't access the Co-op Members section of the community, click here for instructions on how to join the section that's just for you.

Sharing Images & videos of hiking in Norway

Hi good people of Rei!

Hope you are safe out there.

First, pardon my English. Please read with the best intentions 😉

In the future I will post pictures and videos from various hikes/back backing trips here in Norway. Hope you will enjoy the content. 

In the calendar several shorter hikes is planned in the coming months as part of testing gear and prepare for longer hikes this summer. First the preparations lead up to a week long hike in the end of June, and that week is the last preparation for a two week packraft hike in the north of Norway in July.

This is as short video from a test hike, practicing to use the camera, testing abackpack with a (DIY) modified carry system, and the new packraft. The video is shot in the southern parts of Norway.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwglYjGLzdc&t=27s

All the best.

Paal

12 Replies

@Paalbaal 

Paal,

Thank you so much for sharing this! Great video! I have a question: what kind of packraft do you have? How long have you been using it? Thoughts or tips? A packraft is very high on my list of pieces of gear to add to my adventures and I'm always looking for input.

Thanks!

At REI, we believe time outside is fundamental to a life well lived.

Hi John, and thank you for those kind words!

"What kind of packraft do you have?

The story is that I have used an inflatable kayak from the brand Sevylor, the model "Rio" since it was released. Before packrafts. I bought two, one for my son, he was 12 years old at the time, and we used them on a two week expedition light. They was, and still is, very sturdy and safe.

As the story goes, pacrafts started to emerge on the marked. But first I was a skeptic. After trying one, I was convinced that used the right way,  it would give me almost the same experience as the "Rio", but at much lower weight and packs down much more. Still, my experience so far is that I have to plan and think through certain things that I didn't have to with the "Rio".

So my thoughts or tips is just basics.

1. Be aware of the place/ground you inflate it and set it out. Look out for sharp objects on land, in the water and the lake/river side (Sticks/logs etc).

2. Plan/look ahead if used in a river you know you can encounter logs, sharp stones etc.

3. Plan/look ahead for places to go ashore. If the stream is hard, the low weight on the packraft makes it a easy target for those streams and you can get into problems getting out/in of the packraft.

4. Same as above, but on lakes, with waves created by wind. Can be tricky to get in/out. And on the lake in high wind, it really drifts.

5. Get the right length for you. To short is not cool. I have chosen a 275cm so I can pack more since I will use it on expeditions to.

6. A rain cover/deck for the packraft is a must for me.

7. Some say the stability on lakes is better if the packraft has a "fin" glued on, but I think it paddles fine without it.

"A packraft is very high on my list of pieces of gear to add to my adventures and I'm always looking for input."

The "Rio" lifted my hiking/expeditions to another level. Some times just paddling, or a combination of paddling and walking. (Pulled the "Rio" behind me like a sledge). It's the same with the packraft, it just enriches the hiking life so much. But again, a packraft has to be used with care.

Norwegian site: https://kipara.no/

@Paalbaal,

Thank you so much for the great information and for sharing your photos and videos with us. Please keep them coming!

John

At REI, we believe time outside is fundamental to a life well lived.
0 Likes

Hi good people of the Rei family! Hope you still are safe!

Sorry for the absence, but all for a good reason, what we all love, the outdoor!

In total I have spent four weeks in tent this summer on various hikes&adventures, all of them fantastic in their own way. And, as always, mother nature still has a lesson or two for a longtime hiker.

Sharing this video with you from my test&practice hike before the two week hike I had together with a friend in the North of Norway. Hope you like it. Also, our Instagram is now published, so would be happy for any new likes and followers. (60degreesadventures)

https://youtu.be/15lPb9lPFTM

This five days long hike in the south of Norway, was the last test and practice hike to prepare for the two week long hike in the north of Norway. Birtedalen...

Hi @Paalbaal, thank you for sharing!

In regards to you original video... can I just say... that beer was a great touch! 😄

I have always wanted to visit Norway, and look forward to the adventures you share. Do you have any trail (or general locations in Norway) recommendations for a backpacker (or day hiker OR climber) that loves the backcountry, wants to avoid people, and has no issues regarding length or difficulty of the trail (it can even include technical climbing)? 

Thanks!

www.brynsharpphotography.com

Hi @bryndsharp. Yeah, have to live with that choice for the rest of my life! Should have grabbed that beer! When you read further down, please excuse my English. If any thing is unclear, just ask.

Great to hear that you consider Norway for your future adventures! Furthermore, amazed by your attitude towards hiking&climbing alone! We think alike. However, Norway is one of the "go to countries" for all things hiking and climbing. So, expect to meet people, but just ignore them🤣. Jokes aside, your level of experience, physical and mental strength, will decide if you can reach the most remote and spectacular spots. The saying is true, the harder the hike/climb is, leads to less people. In general, for climbing only, you definitely should contact the various local climbing clubs for tips&information. (Safety)

The first thing you need to decide is how long your stay will be. This will affect where you want to go, and what you want to do. Of course, the more time you have, greater the variations in types/styles of adventure. For climbing, the western part of Norway has some spectacular choices. The city of Bergen would be a good starting point.  Moreover, the north of Norway, from "Lofoten", and all the way up to "Lyngsalpene", has some of the most amazing sights  for climbing. The city of Tromso (Tromsø) is the go to starting point for adventures in the north.

However, if we just focus on hiking, both this cities is a great starting point for very nice adventures into some spectacular nature. But just keep in mind, in my opinion, you need about two weeks to get the most out of your stay. Another factor most people need to know about is the presence of insects in the North, especially hordes of mosquitoes.  Finally, Norway is expensive! Just had to get that of my chest😅.

For hiking south/mid Norway: Hardangervidda, Børgefjell, Breheimen nasjonalpark, Dovrefjell.

For hiking North of Norway: Areas around the city of Narvik and Tromsø. "Senja" is great. "Dividalen". "Nordreisa". "Sørøya" is a little secret". "Lofoten" is fantastic, but a lot of tourists. Two of my favorite spots is the mountains on both sides of "Ersfjorden" outside the city of Tromsø. (If you locate my first post you can see some photos from this area, like the headstand photo on the edge.)

So, when you have decided where to start, and what you what you want to do, please feel free to get back to me. Maybe I can help you&friends with more detailed/concrete suggestions.

Map: https://www.norgeskart.no/#!?project=norgeskart&layers=1002&zoom=3&lat=7259699.50&lon=491317.78

All the best, Paal.

Hi @Paalbaal, thank you so much for this information! This is definitely giving me some places to start :). Once I get around to planning my Norway trip (have to wait for covid to die down a bit more), I will definitely reach out if I have further questions!

www.brynsharpphotography.com

Happy new year!

Another short video. This time from a day hike couple of days before the two week adventure. I can't praise this particular part of north of Norway enough. If you ever plan to travel up north, consider spending a few days or even hike for several days into the spectacular wilderness in the area. Please comment and like the video. (If you like it)

https://youtu.be/KLJmk-vtJcM

Last summer, all the adventures was sort of an "anticlimax" due to the semi open society after the Covid-19 restrictions winter and spring. Am sure most of y...
0 Likes

Hi folks! Hope everybody is safe out there!

This thread was supposed to be strictly about hiking. However, the links bellow is somehow related as it shows what kind of conditions that awaits you if you plan for wither adventures here in Norway 🙂

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DM9QHnfDHdQ&ab_channel=NRK

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FPxAvHdrK6U&ab_channel=Statensvegvesen

The norwegians have to battle eight meters of snow to find the road.På Vikafjellet slåss de med åtte meter snø for å finne veien.
Fv. 63 Trollstigen er en del av Nasjonal turistveg Geiranger/Trollstigen. Vegen er vær- og skredutsatt og stengt om vinteren. Arbeidet med å åpne vegen start...