cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Welcome REI Co-op Members! We're glad you're here. If you can't access the Co-op Members section of the community, click here for instructions on how to join the section that's just for you.

Re: Sharing Images & videos of hiking in Norway

Hi good people of Rei!

Hope you are safe out there.

First, pardon my English. Please read with the best intentions 😉

In the future I will post pictures and videos from various hikes/back backing trips here in Norway. Hope you will enjoy the content. 

In the calendar several shorter hikes is planned in the coming months as part of testing gear and prepare for longer hikes this summer. First the preparations lead up to a week long hike in the end of June, and that week is the last preparation for a two week packraft hike in the north of Norway in July.

This is as short video from a test hike, practicing to use the camera, testing abackpack with a (DIY) modified carry system, and the new packraft. The video is shot in the southern parts of Norway.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwglYjGLzdc&t=27s

All the best.

Paal

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.
23 Replies

@Paalbaal 

Thanks for checking in! Sadly, I have not purchased a packraft yet. It is still on the list though!

At REI, we believe time outside is fundamental to a life well lived.

Hi @Paalbaal, thank you for sharing!

In regards to you original video... can I just say... that beer was a great touch! 😄

I have always wanted to visit Norway, and look forward to the adventures you share. Do you have any trail (or general locations in Norway) recommendations for a backpacker (or day hiker OR climber) that loves the backcountry, wants to avoid people, and has no issues regarding length or difficulty of the trail (it can even include technical climbing)? 

Thanks!

www.brynsharpphotography.com

Superusers do not speak on behalf of REI and may have received
one or more gifts or other benefits from the co-op.

Hi @bryndsharp. Yeah, have to live with that choice for the rest of my life! Should have grabbed that beer! When you read further down, please excuse my English. If any thing is unclear, just ask.

Great to hear that you consider Norway for your future adventures! Furthermore, amazed by your attitude towards hiking&climbing alone! We think alike. However, Norway is one of the "go to countries" for all things hiking and climbing. So, expect to meet people, but just ignore them🤣. Jokes aside, your level of experience, physical and mental strength, will decide if you can reach the most remote and spectacular spots. The saying is true, the harder the hike/climb is, leads to less people. In general, for climbing only, you definitely should contact the various local climbing clubs for tips&information. (Safety)

The first thing you need to decide is how long your stay will be. This will affect where you want to go, and what you want to do. Of course, the more time you have, greater the variations in types/styles of adventure. For climbing, the western part of Norway has some spectacular choices. The city of Bergen would be a good starting point.  Moreover, the north of Norway, from "Lofoten", and all the way up to "Lyngsalpene", has some of the most amazing sights  for climbing. The city of Tromso (Tromsø) is the go to starting point for adventures in the north.

However, if we just focus on hiking, both this cities is a great starting point for very nice adventures into some spectacular nature. But just keep in mind, in my opinion, you need about two weeks to get the most out of your stay. Another factor most people need to know about is the presence of insects in the North, especially hordes of mosquitoes.  Finally, Norway is expensive! Just had to get that of my chest😅.

For hiking south/mid Norway: Hardangervidda, Børgefjell, Breheimen nasjonalpark, Dovrefjell.

For hiking North of Norway: Areas around the city of Narvik and Tromsø. "Senja" is great. "Dividalen". "Nordreisa". "Sørøya" is a little secret". "Lofoten" is fantastic, but a lot of tourists. Two of my favorite spots is the mountains on both sides of "Ersfjorden" outside the city of Tromsø. (If you locate my first post you can see some photos from this area, like the headstand photo on the edge.)

So, when you have decided where to start, and what you what you want to do, please feel free to get back to me. Maybe I can help you&friends with more detailed/concrete suggestions.

Map: https://www.norgeskart.no/#!?project=norgeskart&layers=1002&zoom=3&lat=7259699.50&lon=491317.78

All the best, Paal.

Hi @Paalbaal, thank you so much for this information! This is definitely giving me some places to start :). Once I get around to planning my Norway trip (have to wait for covid to die down a bit more), I will definitely reach out if I have further questions!

www.brynsharpphotography.com

Superusers do not speak on behalf of REI and may have received
one or more gifts or other benefits from the co-op.

Happy new year!

Another short video. This time from a day hike couple of days before the two week adventure. I can't praise this particular part of north of Norway enough. If you ever plan to travel up north, consider spending a few days or even hike for several days into the spectacular wilderness in the area. Please comment and like the video. (If you like it)

https://youtu.be/KLJmk-vtJcM

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Hi folks! Hope everybody is safe out there!

This thread was supposed to be strictly about hiking. However, the links bellow is somehow related as it shows what kind of conditions that awaits you if you plan for wither adventures here in Norway 🙂

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DM9QHnfDHdQ&ab_channel=NRK

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FPxAvHdrK6U&ab_channel=Statensvegvesen

The norwegians have to battle eight meters of snow to find the road.På Vikafjellet slåss de med åtte meter snø for å finne veien.
Fv. 63 Trollstigen er en del av Nasjonal turistveg Geiranger/Trollstigen. Vegen er vær- og skredutsatt og stengt om vinteren. Arbeidet med å åpne vegen start...

Hi all.

Just a short hike into the woods in my area to test the Tomshoo wood gas stove. For a guy that love campfire, this stove is fabulous. However, from 15th of April to 15th of September we have a general campfire prohibition, so this stove will be most welcome during those months.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nh5ANaizCFw&t=15s&ab_channel=P%C3%A5lb%C3%A5l

Just a short hike into the woods to test my modified Tomshoo wood gas stove using pellets. Followed a moose track and enjoyed coffee and cookies right next t...

Hi fellow nature lovers&hikers.

Another video from a short hike here in the southern part of Norway. Really the first signs of spring the last few days.

The background for testing new stoves is that on the forthcoming three week hike this summer, we are not allowed to bring gas canisters or liquid fuel on the seaplane. We are forced to find other solutions. That said, after we have spent the first 8-10 days above threeline, we will eventually be blessed with birch threes along the river when we start paddling our packrafts. So campfires gonna be most welcome for the remaining of the hike.

If any of you out there have any other tips&trix, please let me know.

All the best.

Paal

https://youtu.be/fUIeIDxU6hA

Testing gear is a vital part of the process in choosing the right equipment for the forthcoming hikes in 2021. Up for test in the coming weeks is a stove fro...

I always appreciate your videos @Paalbaal, thanks!

At REI, we believe time outside is fundamental to a life well lived.

Hi. Hope all of you are still safe!

Just another short video from the wood where I live. Small signs of spring now, but most welcome!

https://youtu.be/dUbHUQ8OeW4

Paal

Finally, some signs of spring! So what can be better than to enjoy fresh spring air, the smell of the deep woods, follow moose droppings, and coffee by a cam...