cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Welcome REI Co-op Members! We're glad you're here. If you can't access the Co-op Members section of the community, click here for instructions on how to join the section that's just for you.

recommendations for extraordinary outdoor activity for my birthday?

At the end of April it will be my birthday.  I would like to do something unique and extraordinary outdoor activity.   No matter the time or money.  

What do You guys recommend? 

6 Replies

Hey, Happy early birthday. Here is a list of a few things I've found and others I thought of...

Unique outdoor activities I found:

• coasteering
  • slacklining
  • sandboarding
  • mountainboarding

Things I can think of:

• Backpacking the 100 mile wilderness section of the AT in Maine 
  • Hiking a mountain you have not hiked before
  • Try a new outdoor hobby ( if you don't already backpacking, bike-packing, hunting, and fishing are all great examples.)
  • Take a camping trip and visit a State or National Park.
  • White water rafting
  • canoe camping
  • Try a step into fly-fishing (a somewhat more relaxing version of fishing in my opinion.)
  • Consider exploring a different state.
  • Goat yoga or hike
  • Paddle-boarding
  • Nordic Walking
  • Hike in the dark
  • Lastly, consider hiring a registered experienced guide for some sort of adventure (it helps small business and helps ensure safety.)

Hope you find something fun to do for your birthday, happy adventures. 

do an onsight 5.13d.  That would probably be fairly extraordinary.

0 Likes

What day is your birthday? Mines the 25th of April and I’m turning 40! So I’m going to run a 40k to celebrate the 40 years around the sun! Join me?! What about a hike or a walk of the length of your years of celebration in miles or kilometers? 

We loved a 7 day loop in the backcountry of Yosemite. The outfitter had camps along the way & used mules for the gear. We simply hiked & learned about the history, botany, etc. my 7 days across Ireland in a similar manner was linked by COVID. Driving a camper van around New Zealand is awesome; they really embrace it down there.

0 Likes

well, obviously, the correct answer is, pay for a tandem parachute jump.

Now wait...don't go away just yet.  Statistically they are extremely safe.

The thrill is almost 'un-top-able) (unbeatable)!

You'll be so proud of yourself, it's an unbelievable self esteem boost.  After that 'high' , get it? you'll feel like you can accomplish anything!

All my jumps in the Army were night jumps...because I always had my eyes closed! lol, I kill myself, I love that old joke!

REI Member Since 1979 YouTube.com/philreedshikes

I reccomend Hiking on a glacier and camping on it in alaska, and attempting to see the northern lights.

Kyle M | https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCtrM2UkJKMvKv3qyR9WFv7w
Have a Great Day, and make your best adventure yet.