Highlighted

Photography

Wanted to start a thread on photography in the outdoors. Feel free to share some of your photos in the thread, however, it should be its own category.

1) What are some of your choices in camera and lens?

2) What tips and tricks do you use to get that great shot?

3) Why do you get out to hike and photograph?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

My answers...

1) D3400- I kept it on the low price range due to the environment and damage risk. Its good for small trips. Due to the laws and impact I try to avoid drones in the wildlife and I may eventually upgrade but I like the DX for hobby and prefer to keep FX for professional.

2) Try to stick to the basics. Do not over pack your gear. A single camera and two lens should be enough (usually a 12-24 and then a 150-500) as well as a battery for each day. I avoid the tripod and instead elect to use a tree and my arm for steady shots, and try to figure about 25 photos a day for memory space. One option for video is to skill the camcorder and go with the camera so consider space for that (maybe an hour per day).

3) My mission is to inspire others to get outdoors, build how to and review videos and just generally educate others. It is also a great way to challenge myself by creating challenges such as focusing on certain wildlife each hike, or trying to get a specific style of shot (such as a night shot of an animal). It teaches patience, learning habits of wildlife and the extra is a good motivator to work out and be fit.

Mitchell J Clarke
Owner-Photographer
Heartwood Photography
0 Likes
0 Replies