cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Welcome REI Co-op Members! We're glad you're here. If you can't access the Co-op Members section of the community, click here for instructions on how to join the section that's just for you.

Olympic National Park In October

Thinking about a 2 nighter in the Olympic National Park in October. Looking at the Seven Lake Basin-High Devide trail. 

Even thought the suggested time to do this is between April and October, i'm wondering if anyone has actually spent time there in October. Curious how cold it actually is around that time. It's not quit winter but getting there. Thanks in advance. 

2 Replies

Personally, I have not hiked out there in October. I have been on lower elevation backpacking trips in the Olympics in October. The weather can be unpredictable. I would prepare for low temps, rain, and possibly snow. Make sure you bring extra layers! Last October I went to Upper Lena Lake in the Olympics which is around 4,600 ft. of elevation at its high point. We had snow! It was absolutely beautiful. I love backpacking later in the season due to less people being out on the trails. As long as you’re prepared for chilly weather it can be a blast! (Definitely pack the hot cocoa. Worth its weight!)

If you haven’t already checked this site, here is a link to Washington Trails Association where you can find recent and last October’s trip reports on High Divide - Seven Lake Basin Loop.

If you want more local information I would suggest calling Olympic National Park Wilderness Information Center in Port Angeles, WA. The rangers are a wealth of knowledge!

Happy backpacking Smiley Happy

At REI, we believe time outside is fundamental to a life well lived.
0 Likes

@BlueLine thanks for asking for suggestions in our new community! It might make sense to also post this in our Seatte board and/or National Parks board for a wider audience!

At REI, we believe time outside is fundamental to a life well lived.
0 Likes