cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
We are currently experiencing issues with logging in and staying logged in, most often with Chrome, We're sorry and are working hard on resolution.
Highlighted

Need help being on a long flight

Going amazing places sometimes requires a long flight. Any hacks or tips people have for sleeping on a plane? Any favorite items or pillow you’d recommend? General comfort ideas or stretches?

At REI, we believe a life outdoors is a life well-lived.
10 Replies
Highlighted

@REI-AliciaS While I don't recommend doing drugs, I did have a doctor prescribe Xanax on my flight to England and another trip to Australia.  I used to not be able to sleep on a plane.  While England is only a 6 hour flight from here, it still helps.

On my Australia surfing trip, it was a 17 hour flight from San Fran to Sydney.  Xanax saved me a lot from the awful jet lag.  I slept a solid 8-10 hours in the middle seat on a 777.  

All of the being said, I don't recommend taking it more than the flight.  Xanax can be quite addictive.  And don't even think about drinking.  Alcohol plus Xanax equals respiratory distress or arrest. 

An alternative is melatonin.  It's not as effective, but a lot safer.  

Regardless, talk to a doctor, PA, or NP before doing any of the above recommendations.  Be smart, be safe, and rest well.

Cajun

0 Likes