cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Welcome REI Co-op Members!
We're glad you're here. If you can't access the Co-op Members section of the community,
click here for instructions on how to join the section that's just for you.

Native American Lands - Great Treasures - East Coast?

I have had the privilege to be granted access to hike and camp on Native American lands, most recently prior to the pandemic in September 2019, to the Havasupai Indian Reservation in the western Grand Canyon.Havasu Falls (Supai)Havasu Falls (Supai)

Some of the most breathtaking landscapes can be found in this less traveled area. 

Mooney Falls (super)Mooney Falls (super)Beaver Falls (Supai)Beaver Falls (Supai)

I am interested in learning of other areas where hiking and camping is allowed. Any suggestions on the East Coast. Cherokee, NC?

12 Replies

This sounds fascinating, but are you aware of the provisions of NAGPRA (Native American Graves Protection and Repatriation Act)?  The act applies to all US lands, regardless of ownership, and require consultation, ideally first with the county coroner, who will determine if it is a crime scene or a burial of antiquity and then inform you as to who should be contacted - this varies depending upon the locality.

I haven't the faintest idea of the local attitude toward burials, but I sincerely recommend doing some homework first.  It will save you a lot of grief in the long run (and even possible indictment...)

Superusers do not speak on behalf of REI and may have received
one or more gifts or other benefits from the co-op.
0 Likes

I haven’t seen it, just told me about it in an email. He works with a local historian/author so I am sure it’s legit if that’s what it turned out to be. The Cemeteries I have visited were all Settlers, we always show the utmost respect and straighten up the graves that were disturbed by the weather or animals, seems the flowers get scattered around and pick up any litter and pack it out. The only thing we ever take is pix and litter along the trails.

0 Likes

That's great!!

Superusers do not speak on behalf of REI and may have received
one or more gifts or other benefits from the co-op.
0 Likes