cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Welcome REI Co-op Members!
We're glad you're here. If you can't access the Co-op Members section of the community,
click here for instructions on how to join the section that's just for you.

Looking for some help choosing clothing for a trip to Antarctica.

I am going to Antartica in early January. I understand the temps will be about 30-40 degrees. What are best bet for base and middle layers? Fabric?

Thanks

0 Likes
5 Replies

sometimes the sponsors have recommended packing lists/styles

good luck!

take/post pics!

REI Member Since 1979 YouTube.com/philreedshikes
0 Likes

Thanks for your response. I am looking to purchase  mid-layer pants. What is best over base layer?

Thanks,

BarryZ

0 Likes

I'd be interested in knowing this as well!

0 Likes

@BarryZ I am a big fan of Patagonia capilene midweigh bottoms: https://www.rei.com/product/155316/patagonia-capilene-midweight-base-layer-bottoms-mens

I took a pair to Antarctica and was very happy with them. One thing that is often not on the packing lists that is super helpful is a pair of knee pads. When taking pictures of penguins and seals it is helpful to get low. 

PDB
he/him/his

Hi @BarryZ - Thanks for reaching out!

It's really exciting to hear that you have a trip to Antartica planned for January! What sort of activities do you all have planned while you are down there? 

In 30-40 degree weather, you will want to have a good layering system so things can be added and removed as your body warms up or cools down. Wool is a great option for base layers. If you are interested in seeing what others in this community think about wool, take a look at the recent Thoughts on Wool? discussion. 

For an in-depth look at fabrics and when to choose which, we suggest reading over our Uncommon Path article titled Material Science: The Art of Layering@PatrickB's suggestion of the Patagonia Capilene lineup is a great one. 

For thirty to forty degrees, mid-layer pants are suited for some folks and not others. Often times at those temperatures people choose to wear a base layer plus a weather resistant outer layer. If you tend to run cool and would like to have a warmer mid-layer on your trip, you might consider a pair of the Co-op Teton Fleece Pants.

Hopefully this helps! If you're keen to share, we would love to hear about your trip once you are back and see any fun photos you grab while you're down there. Enjoy!

At REI, we believe time outside is fundamental to a life well lived.
0 Likes