cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Welcome REI Co-op Members! We're glad you're here. If you can't access the Co-op Members section of the community, click here for instructions on how to join the section that's just for you.

looking for adventure buddies

My buddy and I have given up our leases in SF and are traveling all over the west coast to live the digital nomad life. Along the way, we're exploring Oregon, Washington, Montana, Wyoming, Colorado, and Utah. We'll be hiking and camping in national parks along the way, and then spending 2 months in Hawaii before returning to Colorado for ski season. If anyone is interested to join for part of the adventure, we'd love to meet up for meals, coffee, hikes, etc.!

IG: @happyrafat

6 Replies

@rafat - Wow what a fun trip!! I bet you both are going to have the time of your life. I hope you get to hang out with some fabulous REI Members along the way!

One thing to keep in mind is that some National Parks have slightly different rules this summer and fall than in years past, so make sure to stay up to date with each park before you are surprised. Here is the link to look up specific National Parks and their rules and regulations. For instance, right now Rocky Mountain National Park is requiring Timed Entry Permits to enter the park.

Also, if you need some help gearing up for your trip, be sure to visit your local REI or schedule a free Virtual Outfitting appointment!

Happy adventuring!

At REI, we believe time outside is fundamental to a life well lived.

@rafat so rad!

I'm all over the place and kind of up in the air at the moment due to COVID-19, so I may just find myself wherever you guys are! I'm originally from Colorado, but typically live in Arizona, and I've traveled a bunch throughout the Western U.S. It would be super cool to connect and see if we can find a place to connect (Feel free to DM me!)!

www.brynsharpphotography.com

I know it wasn't on your list, but if plans change, I've been DYING to get out to Channel Island National Park in SoCal.  It's a solid overnighter that includes a ~45 minute boat ride out to the island.  I hear there is lots of marine life on the way and island foxes once you make land.

0 Likes

@tadoerner 

You definitely want to connect with @hikermor! He is a retired archaeologist and was stationed at Channel Islands. He's a wealth of knowledge about the area. 

Sounds like an awesome trip!

At REI, we believe time outside is fundamental to a life well lived.

I live in SoCal and am always up for an adventure- I’m kinda all over with covid job loss myself and will check in often to look for trips on here 

Like so many places, channel Islands visits are complicated by coronavirus.  Boat service is available (but not cheap!).  You can do a one day cruise with brief shore stops at Prisoners Harbor on Santa Cruz Island, or a trip to Santa Rosa Island of ariablee length.   I recommend stayong on SRI at least two nights so that you can experience "island time." completely different from the mainland.  Lots of fine hiking opportunities - Torrey Pines, East Point, Lobo Canyon.

Some time in 2021 Scorpion Anchorage, East Santa Cruz Island should b open once again, once construction of the new pier is finished.  Plenty to see there.

Scuba diving around any of the islands is exceptional.

San Miguel Island is exceptionally remote, with no boat serve at present.  Oe of the best ways to reach SMI is to volunteer with the park for whatever project might be available.  Best to check with the park staff for opportunities.  Once there, you will realize you are not in Kansas any more...

I worked at CHIS for fifteen years, retiring in 2001.  I have been a volunteer ever since, enjoying every minute.