cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Welcome REI Co-op Members!
We're glad you're here. If you can't access the Co-op Members section of the community,
click here for instructions on how to join the section that's just for you.

Inspiration

If you're like me, when you can't be travelling, you like to read about it. Here's my list of classic favorites - all of them great reads. What I like about them is that they all describe unscripted, unguided, and sometimes off-the-cuff adventures. (None of them even had a stinkin' cell phone!) The best, like Annie Dillard, probe the deep wonder of existance, making me appreciate the miracle of being alive.

What books should I add to the list?

Full Tilt, by Dervla Murphy - Irish woman sets out to fulfill a childhood dream to ride her bike to India.

Planet Walker, by John Francis - Frustrated by an oil-tanker spill, man takes vow of silence and walks across North America, earning several college degrees along the way.

Rowing to Latitude, by Jill Fredstone - Avalanche expert takes to the ocean in a specialized rowing shell during the off-season, exploring lonesome stretches of arctic coastlines with her husband.

Vagabonding, by Rolf Potts - Travel writer shares tips and anecdotes about how to fund and find time for extensive travel.

Pilgrim at Tinker Creek, by Annie Dillard - The author lives alone in an Appalachian cabin, observing the natural world.  (I like anything by Dillard.)

Sailing Alone Around the World, by Joshua Slocum - Down-on-his-luck sea captain restores an old boat and - the title sums it up.

Valley of the Assassins, by Freya Stark - Unstoppable woman explores off-the-map parts of the middle east.

My First Summer in the Sierra, by John Muir - The title pretty much says it all.

Superusers do not speak on behalf of REI and may have received
one or more gifts or other benefits from the co-op.
2 Replies

Ok @TomIrvine I'm running out to the library as we speak! 

I've been a big fan of the 'Best American Travel Writing' series which is a collection of short works by various authors, one book is released each year. And, I always laugh a lot when reading Bill Bryson. It looks like you may have just filled my weekend plans though! 

At REI, we believe time outside is fundamental to a life well lived.

That was just my short list!  🙂

Superusers do not speak on behalf of REI and may have received
one or more gifts or other benefits from the co-op.