cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Welcome REI Co-op Members!
We're glad you're here. If you can't access the Co-op Members section of the community,
click here for instructions on how to join the section that's just for you.

Iceland in December. Jacket, pants and shoes recommendations

Hello,

I'll be travelling to Iceland in December/ January. Can you please recommend what are the best women's shoes, pants, jackets, thermals, socks that you carry.  Will be be hiking in snow,  walking on glaciers, northern lights viewing. Want to me warm and toasty. Thanks!

0 Likes
3 Replies

Hi @lalaw - Thanks for reaching out!

It's exciting to hear you have this trip planned! Because there are so many variables to being well suited for a trip like this, if you have the availability, we recommend talking with one of our winter gear experts in a free Virtual Outfitting appointment.

There are also lots of great tips in the Expert Advice article Cold-Weather Hiking Tips and Clothing Guide that might be helpful to make sure you're covering your bases. Layering will be an important part of your clothing plan so you can adjust to match your activity level and the temperature. For an overview of layering, take a look at our Layering Basics guide.

While REI offers many different options for winter clothing and footwear, many sizes and options are not available in the summer months, though we expect availability in the months ahead. With that, here are some suggestions to get you started:

You will also want to look into winter socks (wool is great for these!), baselayers, a beanie/winter hat, and warm mittens or gloves

Hopefully some other folks here in the community will also weigh in and share what their favorites are.

Let us know if you'd like any additional suggestions and we'll be happy to help!

At REI, we believe time outside is fundamental to a life well lived.
0 Likes

Thank you so much!! I wasn't aware of the Virtual Outfitting Program. I will look into both. This is so very helpful.  

0 Likes

If you're going via a 'tour group', based in iceland, they normally have a recommended packing list!

jealous!!

good luck

REI Member Since 1979 YouTube.com/philreedshikes
0 Likes