cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Welcome REI Co-op Members! We're glad you're here. If you can't access the Co-op Members section of the community, click here for instructions on how to join the section that's just for you.

hiking essentials to bring for adventure travel

When i travel, wether its adventure travel or for work, i’m always seeking out hiking (or trail running trails) in the cities/towns where i am staying. So i have a list of essentials that i always bring with me for hiking just in case.  Im wondering what other people bring w them that is a hiking must-have (when you can’t pack everything plus the kitchen sink 😉 Be well, annie

5 Replies

REI travel pants with the nerdy zip off pant legs to make shorts.  Quick drying too if you wash them in the sink.

0 Likes

Hike goo cream for your feet, buff for multiple purposes (head band, over mouth and chin if dusty or cold, etc.) ibuprofin (just in case)!

0 Likes

This isn't such a big deal now - in the spring. But come fall or winter, when it gets dark so early in the northern latitudes where I live, I try to always pack a lightweight mesh construction vest with the big reflective strips. Mine cost around $10 and has a zip front (the vecro gets irritating over time). It's easy to wear and makes me so much more visible - giving me a lot of protection from from cars. Not so necessarily if I'm on a dedicated trail, but sooner or later I'm near cars, and it's like my personal bullet-proof vest!

0 Likes

I try to take as many of the Ten Essentials as possible whenever I head into the outdoors, even near population centers.  I always think of those people who met dissaster after thinking they were just going for a short walk.  If I don't bring them all, I try to pay more attention to my situation and assess if I might be heading into a newspaper headline (lost hiker found...).

Sunscreen!

0 Likes