cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Welcome REI Co-op Members! We're glad you're here. If you can't access the Co-op Members section of the community, click here for instructions on how to join the section that's just for you.

Best Camping in North Texas / Oklahoma?

What're your favorite areas in North Texas or Oklahoma for camping? I'm trying to make a decision where to go at the end of April.

0 Likes
5 Replies

Hi @Clint - Thanks for reaching out! 

My favorite state park in Texas is Caprock Canyons State Park in the panhandle and I definitely recommend it if you can get a campsite for the days you are traveling. The larger and equally impressive Palo Duro Canyon State Park is another gem in North Texas. 

Farther east along the Oklahoma-Texas border is Lake Texoma, which has a wide variety of camping options. 

I haven't done much camping in Oklahoma, but know I have always been extremely impressed by North Texas and surprised it isn't more well-known as a camping/exploring destination. 

Hopefully this is a good start! 

At REI, we believe time outside is fundamental to a life well lived.
0 Likes

@REI-CarterC  thank you! As I've narrowed what I'd like to do, I'm looking into dispersed camping within about 4-5 hours of the Dallas area... Somewhere I can drive into and set up a tent.

I'm looking at Caddo National Grassland or maybe even the western part of Ouachita National Forest.

0 Likes

@Clint - That sounds like an amazing idea! It's impressive how different the terrain in those areas east of Dallas are than the parks I listed above that are to the west.

Both Caddo and Ouachita have dispersed camping available throughout, so there are truly endless options. Researching all of the different camping areas can be loads of fun.

If you want to share, we'd to love to hear back about where you end up camping on your trip later this month!

At REI, we believe time outside is fundamental to a life well lived.
0 Likes

Caprock is my #1 fav and much less crowded than paloduro. You will likely have to go midweek because all Texas camping places have been completely full- sadly. 

0 Likes

In for answers. I do want to go to Caprock...

We do the state parks ... things within ~3 hours of Houston.  So for options to your South:

Fairfield Lake was nice. Quiet. 
I like Cleburne but never camped it. 
Lake Meridian is small but super peaceful and some campsites right up by the water. 

I heard Possum Kingdom has nice running trails but I’ve never quite made it up there myself. 

There’s a book I got (free from the library for kindle) ... Tent Camping Texas (much longer title actually) by Wendel Withrow. Check it out. It even suggests campsite numbers which are nice when making reservations in the state parks sites. 

0 Likes